Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Which will give me less buyers remorse?

• Gibson Halcyon Les Paul

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • PRS S2 Singlecut (Blue smokecrab)

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • PRS S2 Singlecut (Grey Black)

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Pipe off about how much you hate Gibson and tell me what to do with my money.

Votes: 10 35.7%
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Black Aquaman
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help deciding which stupid expensive guitar to buy:

Either Gibson Halcyon (I'm just a Mastodon fanboy and have never owned a Gibson, for $2500 just shoot me)

The PRS S2 Single cut.
One of these two finishes. The price isn't as bad as the gibson and they look and sound stellar. Also never owned a PRS.

Blue crab smokeburst:

OR Grey black:

Option 3: I'm open to suggestions (kinda).

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Of those three, get the Gibson. But make sure you play it yourself in person before buying it because Gibsons can have pure gold amazing pieces of glory and horrible crappy pieces of shit.

·
Black Aquaman
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys. Still thinking it over keep the feedback flowing.

Out of those three, the Gibson if you get one that sounds and plays nice. I'm just not a fan of the S2 series. I'm sure they feel and sound great, but I honestly think the SEs look better :lol:
TBH I've always thought the Akesson SE was a nice guitar for the money. Almost all my guitars are Korean, Chinese, Indonesian and Japanese So that might have a lot to do with my sudden interest in a guitar that isn't offshore.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I haven't looked at the S2s a lot, but the few i had a quick look at in a store looked really cheap to me. I'm sure they're very nice guitars, but they occupy an odd middle ground between the SE line and the full-blown main line PRS guitars. I have a sneaking suspicion that the S2 line may not last very long. I'd be curious to see how they're holding up on the used market.

If you're really after a nice singlecut, maybe start fishing around for a used PRS. You might be able to find a nicer guitar than either the Gibson or the S2. $2500 will definitely buy you a LOT of PRS on the second-hand market. I strongly advise you to go to The Guitar Shop in Port Credit if you're in the GTA and are shopping around for a PRS. They have some of the nicest ones i've ever seen.

PAUL REED SMITH ELECTRIC GUITARS FOR SALE AT THE GUITAR SHOP IN MISSISSAUGA ONTARIO CANADA

PRS 408 Ser#194073 - The Guitar Shop ....... 905-274-5555

PRS 408 Ser#194145 - The Guitar Shop ....... 905-274-5555

PRS SC245 Ser#201750 ROSEWOOD NECK - The Guitar Shop ....... 905-274-5555

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

S2 singlecut doesnt look as "cheap" as the s2 custom 22/24.

That said, just get a used prs singlecut.

·
Ear Punisher
858 Posts
Personally I'd go for a Jackson PC1, or one of those nifty Buckethead axes. The only Gibson I'd buy would be a much older one, from the time when they could actually build a good guitar. An ESP Eclipse would be another great option. Why not a Suhr or something along those lines? Aren't those stupidly expensive?

·
Black Aquaman
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Carvin CS or ESP Eclipse would get my vote.
I've got an ESP eclipse. Great guitar TBH, really looking to get a cork sniffing singlecut. The Carvin singlecuts have a really good reputation. I think Chris had a NGD awhile back (he bought a black one maybe :scratch:) and I thought it looked stellar.

I haven't looked at the S2s a lot, but the few i had a quick look at in a store looked really cheap to me. I'm sure they're very nice guitars, but they occupy an odd middle ground between the SE line and the full-blown main line PRS guitars. I have a sneaking suspicion that the S2 line may not last very long. I'd be curious to see how they're holding up on the used market.

If you're really after a nice singlecut, maybe start fishing around for a used PRS. You might be able to find a nicer guitar than either the Gibson or the S2. $2500 will definitely buy you a LOT of PRS on the second-hand market. I strongly advise you to go to The Guitar Shop in Port Credit if you're in the GTA and are shopping around for a PRS. They have some of the nicest ones i've ever seen.
I'm located in Brockville Ontario so really just a day trip, not a bad Idea. Thanks for the heads up Darren.

Why not a Suhr or something along those lines? Aren't those stupidly expensive?
Maybe even TOO expensive lol

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
The fact is, the Gibson IS the correct choice and I think you know that. Don't let these twats talk you out of it. :yesway:

I hate Mastodon, but both the Explorer and LP signatures of his are fucking sweet.:metal:

Edit: It is good advice to try before you buy though :lol: :ugh:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.