Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I imagine this has to be a technique thing, because I can pluck the string as hard as I want with my thumb, and there's no buzz here. However, when using pretty much any pick, I get a bit of buzz, however it's not generally audible through the speaker, usually.

What am I doing wrong here? See attached for how I hold the pick.

IMG_0092.JPG

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
That's a lot of pick hanging out. I don't know if that could be your problem, but I hold mine pretty tucked in like this:

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Does it happen on all of your guitars?

Try playing softer and see if it changes anything. However, it's odd that it's only one string on two frets...

·
Nerdington Willoughby
1,537 Posts
What you're describing sounds like uneven fret heights (high 4th fret, or low 2nd and 3rd). Use a fret rocker (or similar straight edge) on the bass side of the strings to see if they're even. If not you may be able to do a spot leveling.

Your hand is upside down and there's no guitar.
:lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your hand is upside down and there's no guitar.
This is valuable insight. I'll shall report back, when I find my guitar and right myself. :lol:

That's a lot of pick hanging out. I don't know if that could be your problem, but I hold mine pretty tucked in like this:

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Wow, that's not a lot of pick. I'll have to try it though. I'll also check the frets; I do have a small StewMac straight edge.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Im a bit like that as well, too much of pick standing out and it seems i get stuck on the strings, and to be even weirder sometimes I only use the Index Finger Nail :) but usually when i just pick the guitar to play for some minutes.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I just semi-checked (I don't have a guitar, so I just grabbed a pick and looked at how I seem to hold it), and while I fall between the two of you, I'm definitely more Jeff than Adam.

On one hand, I pick like a man, and more pick probably helps... On the other, Adam's wife is seriously hot, and he sweeps like a motherfucker, both of which lead me to question my approach.

4,429 Posts
How about if you pluck with your index finger like a bassist or a classical guitarist, that's a little closer action wise to what it's like to pluck with a pick. When you pluck with your thumb you get much more of a controlled side to side motion, when you use a pick there's a lot more up and down movement.

·
\m/ \m/
5,983 Posts
I just semi-checked (I don't have a guitar, so I just grabbed a pick and looked at how I seem to hold it), and while I fall between the two of you, I'm definitely more Jeff than Adam.

On one hand, I pick like a man, and more pick probably helps... On the other, Adam's wife is seriously hot, and he sweeps like a motherfucker, both of which lead me to question my approach.
I was going to say if you ever see Adam pick and sweep you would be trying to learn everything you can from him. When I get close to a guitar again I'm going to really look and see how I hold a pick.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How about if you pluck with your index finger like a bassist or a classical guitarist, that's a little closer action wise to what it's like to pluck with a pick. When you pluck with your thumb you get much more of a controlled side to side motion, when you use a pick there's a lot more up and down movement.
If I pluck with ANY finger, they don't buzz. That's what's odd about it. I have to take time with it tonight with the straight edge, but perhaps given that this is my number one guitar, and it's now 13 years old, perhaps it needs a fret level. I don't think it needs fret replacement though.

4,429 Posts
Is there any twist to the neck? I had an RG which started twisting due to the higher gauge strings on the bass side. Did pretty much exactly what you're describing.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is there any twist to the neck? I had an RG which started twisting due to the higher gauge strings on the bass side. Did pretty much exactly what you're describing.
Not that I can tell. I sure as hell hope not. I've always used 10-46's.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Talked to my tech at the shop (awesome guy, awesome tech) and he said it was actually too straight, and that it needed relief. Absolutely no twist whatsoever, and he said to just swing by and he'll tweak again.

I love having people I trust with this stuff. I also know not how I can figure out all this complex computer/network shit, yet I can't set up my own guitars. :rofl:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts