Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an Ampeg VL503 (please don't be a wanker and say the amp itself is the problem). Whenever I turn on the Loop, the tone becomes much 'weaker'. If I press the 'bypass loop' button, the tone is a motherfucker.

This amp has one of those loops that has a +4/-10 switch but it makes no difference because ultimately the tone is strongest when the loop is off.

When I use the loop, I tend to use the MXR 10-band EQ. Is this known for tonesuck?

I guess I shouldn't overlook the fact that the cables I use for my loop were purchased when Bush was in office.

The v8 in the preamp is for the loop. I've tried a Sino 12at7, chinese 12ax7. It doesn't seem to make much difference.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Weaker how? That's a pretty broad term you've used there. Does the gain drop? Is the bass response affected? Can you post clips?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:)

How long are the cables in the loop? More than 10 feet each and you can get some significant rolloff with some amps.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

What are your fx send and return at...?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Weaker how? That's a pretty broad term you've used there. Does the gain drop? Is the bass response affected? Can you post clips?
Thinner, much less aggressive.

Wirelessly posted :)yesway:)

How long are the cables in the loop? More than 10 feet each and you can get some significant rolloff with some amps.
Oh no, they're 6ft. or less.

Wirelessly posted

What are your fx send and return at...?
No such luck. It's just the -10db/+4db and that's it.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Hmmm, well normally I would say it's an issue with a parallel loop but according to the block diagram it's a series loop. Have you tried other pedals in the loop to see if that affects it? Also, have you turned the pedal to bypass and engaged the loop to see if the problem still happens? If it doesn't happen when the pedal is off and the loop engaged then it could be the pedal but if it still happens when the pedal is off and the loop engaged then something could be awry with the loop itself.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Why is no one addressing send and return levels?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Pointless if you're running one pedal, they're used to switch between multiple pedals in one movement. It also changes the placement of the pedal in relation to the signal so it's no longer after your gain stages and tone stack.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Should I look into one of those loop pedals?
I don't think it'll help you if the problem lies with the effects loop itself.

Try plugging a patch cord from the "Send" to the "Return" of the loop, and switching the loop on and off. Does that cause the same problem?

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Try swapping out the cables one at a time and see if its possible a faulty cable or connector.

Try a different pedal in the FX loop and see if that makes a difference also.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Josh said:
p4vl said:
Should I look into one of those loop pedals?
I don't think it'll help you if the problem lies with the effects loop itself.

Try plugging a patch cord from the "Send" to the "Return" of the loop, and switching the loop on and off. Does that cause the same problem?
Best advice so far. Try a known good cable in the loop before trying anything else.

With some amps, a crappy loop is a feature. :shrug:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts