Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
It's just a joke
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my current plan is to go Axe-> some SS poweramp (rocktron 300?)-> some passive FRFR speaker cab.

Suggestions on an inexpensive and hopefully lightweight cab/FRFR thingy.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I don't know what the definition of inexpensive is, but people love the passive Atomic cabs (same as the actives, sans the 50W 6L6 tube power section). They're fairly flat but I think have a bass response tailored to the guitarist's general domain, i.e. they start rolling off somewhere around 60 Hz in my estimation.

They're lightweight, and the only FRFR kit that I recognize actually looks like guitar gear. Otherwise you're going to hit up the Pro Audio section of a catalog and find yourself a wedge or upright speaker within your budget.

·
It's just a joke
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know what the definition of inexpensive is, but people love the passive Atomic cabs (same as the actives, sans the 50W 6L6 tube power section). They're fairly flat but I think have a bass response tailored to the guitarist's general domain, i.e. they start rolling off somewhere around 60 Hz in my estimation.

They're lightweight, and the only FRFR kit that I recognize actually looks like guitar gear. Otherwise you're going to hit up the Pro Audio section of a catalog and find yourself a wedge or upright speaker within your budget.
A wedge might be fine. I need something I can use as a monitor when I need a monitor because I am going through house PA (or my own) or use as a stand-alone in really tight quarters.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
A wedge might be fine. I need something I can use as a monitor when I need a monitor because I am going through house PA (or my own) or use as a stand-alone in really tight quarters.
Wedge will point over the audience's head -- I think a wedge really is only for monitoring. Well I guess you can turn it on its side, but then you can't put the AFX on top of it. Just don't skimp with your purchase - you want a smooth and detailed treble response, relatively uncolored midrange and responsive bass. Most "pro audio" stuff is made to reproduce vocals and thus has midrangey spikes in the response to achieve that objective.

I still recommend a straight Atomic cab, and get a wedge from Musician's Friend if you want the ability to angle it up at yourself for monitoring. Keep in mind that I actually have yet to get my AFX and FRFR cabs, so take my advice with a grain of salt I guess.

Atomic Amplifiers, Reactor FR - Full Range Guitar Amp, Active Wedge, Active Cab, Passive Wedge, Passive Cabm MB-50, Best amp for the Axe-Fx

If that's too much, consider getting a powered PA speaker like the QSC K10 which comes very highly regarded, but I think that's about the price of a SS power amp + an Atomic cab.

·
It's just a joke
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wedge will point over the audience's head -- I think a wedge really is only for monitoring. Well I guess you can turn it on its side, but then you can't put the AFX on top of it. Just don't skimp with your purchase - you want a smooth and detailed treble response, relatively uncolored midrange and responsive bass. Most "pro audio" stuff is made to reproduce vocals and thus has midrangey spikes in the response to achieve that objective.

I still recommend a straight Atomic cab, and get a wedge from Musician's Friend if you want the ability to angle it up at yourself for monitoring. Keep in mind that I actually have yet to get my AFX and FRFR cabs, so take my advice with a grain of salt I guess.

Atomic Amplifiers, Reactor FR - Full Range Guitar Amp, Active Wedge, Active Cab, Passive Wedge, Passive Cabm MB-50, Best amp for the Axe-Fx

If that's too much, consider getting a powered PA speaker like the QSC K10 which comes very highly regarded, but I think that's about the price of a SS power amp + an Atomic cab.
I wouldn't be putting the Axe on top of anything. I intend to have a separate rack for all that.

·
It's just a joke
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Suddenly this is a lot more of an immediate concern... Axe-FX ultra is on the way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts