Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I want to do something a little more in-depth and methodical than this at some point, but I'm kinda sick of making guitar videos for the moment, having just done 10 in 4 days. But this is still fairly useful, I think.

This is one take, routed through all three options at the same time, so you're hearing exactly the same performance through each set-up. The set-ups are:

V:25 > CabClone > Cubase
V:25 > Palmer PDI-03 (simulation on) > Cubase
V:25 > Palmer PDI-03 (no simulation) > Cubase > Redwirez impulses

I didn't really do much with either the CabClone or the Palmer to make them sound similar. I just left them set however they were (CabClone was set to open back, Palmer was set to middle, unlabelled position on both switches). I think they both have a very similar quality regardless of what settings are used, anyway. They both have a fizzy, weird quality I'm not a fan of. They're definitely ok for practicing/tracking, but for a live sound or for recording, I wouldn't want to use either. Once the impulse file kicks in, it instantly sounds significantly better to me.

·
Banned
130 Posts
Nice comparison. I wish you had also mic'd a cab with a SM57 for comparison to your impulse sample....

The impulse sound is definitely better than both others.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
I didn't even know you had the cab clone dude. I'll check this out when i'm not on laptop speakers.

·
i am the owl
2,700 Posts
Do you have an actual CabClone or just the one built into the V:25. Been on the fence about buying a CabClone just for the "thru" so I can use my V:25 with Ownhammer and Redwirez

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice comparison. I wish you had also mic'd a cab with a SM57 for comparison to your impulse sample....

The impulse sound is definitely better than both others.
I'm trying to track down a Mesa 1x12 at the moment. Once I get one, and I do a better/bigger video, I'll try that. But I've never seriously mic'd up a cab before, so the results might be awful!

I didn't even know you had the cab clone dude. I'll check this out when i'm not on laptop speakers.
Do you have an actual CabClone or just the one built into the V:25. Been on the fence about buying a CabClone just for the "thru" so I can use my V:25 with Ownhammer and Redwirez
It's the CabClone that's built-in to the V:25, not the standalone one. I think they use a resistive load, so I'd still plumb for a Palmer over one of them, or a Weber if I was in the US (they're around the same price, I think), but I bet you can get much better results with that Thru option than you will with the CabClone's simulation.

·
i am the owl
2,700 Posts
I'm trying to track down a Mesa 1x12 at the moment. Once I get one, and I do a better/bigger video, I'll try that. But I've never seriously mic'd up a cab before, so the results might be awful!

It's the CabClone that's built-in to the V:25, not the standalone one. I think they use a resistive load, so I'd still plumb for a Palmer over one of them, or a Weber if I was in the US (they're around the same price, I think), but I bet you can get much better results with that Thru option than you will with the CabClone's simulation.
Cool. I think I might order one from Sweetwater since their return policy is pretty decent, and try it out for a while. Not in love with the built in cab clone cabs the more I play with em. But the option to use my V:25 with 3rd party IR's would rock.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Straight CabClone sounds like shite. :2c: Other two sound... different. Can't say good or bad because they're so different.

For posterity's sake, what are you using for an interface?

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Straight CabClone sounds like shite. :2c: Other two sound... different. Can't say good or bad because they're so different.

For posterity's sake, what are you using for an interface?
It's such an important and significant issue, I can see why you wouldn't want to commit.

I actually really like the sound I'm getting with impulses. It sounds very similar to the Petrucci video to me.

The soundcard is a MOTU Ultralite 3. All three devices are bypassing its pre-amps, so it's not really relevant.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
If I were a dirty American, I'd look at one of these, so long as you don't mind running the V:25 in 10w mode: MicroMASS 15w Attenuator
MiniMass isn't much more, and is good for 50w.

Honestly, the CC and PDI sound like poo. There's no sense in using anything but IR's at this point, it's so easy. Even the shitty Rosen IR's are better than the CC.

·
\m/ \m/
5,983 Posts
To me the redwirz sounded muffled. I liked the first two better.

4,429 Posts
CC is especially bad for metal, it's pretty good for mid to low gain stuff once it's in a mix, and useable for high gain with some tweaking, but with a lot of saturation it tends to eat the signal pretty damn quick.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
It's such an important and significant issue, I can see why you wouldn't want to commit.
:lol:

I'll rephrase... the CabClone sounds unusably bad and difficult (if not, impossible) to re-EQ into a passable tone. The other two sound usable, just EQ'd toward different mixes... both are close enough I think they could be re-EQ'd to sound like the other in post, and neither of which being 100% the way I'd use them out of the box.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts