Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have to order internet and television for my apartment. I don't necessarily care about TV, but my roommate wants it so I might as well go along and use it if I am going to have to pay for it.

However, Time Warner Cable charges per month for the rental and use of digital cable boxes. Being a poor student, I would like to avoid these charges if at all possible.

So, if my TV says that it has a digital tuner with ATSC and QAM support, do I need a cable box to get all the channels in the package? Or will I just get standard cable? Or will I get nothing?

Help? I'd love to save an extra $10-15 a month.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

You'll get standard cable, channels 3-70 or so.

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
Many cable providers have been making a transition to encrypting 100% of the broadcast signal unless you have the a decoder box.

When my provider did this, the boxes they give you to decode the signal come with a remote that you then have to use... and it's very poorly designed. I'd rather have continued to use my TV remote. It wasn't worth renting another DVR or another higher level box from them, since it's only used for my bedroom TV, but that's beside the point.

Reactions: Josh

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This. Everything else needs to be decoded.

BTW. Welcome to the fleecing known as the NYC Cable TV system. :noway:
Seriously. If I could have had Verizon or Optimum it'd be $30-40 a month cheaper... but nooo, it's Time Warner territory :noway:

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
My cable uses an analog carrier signal that has basic channels, and any TV with a coaxial connection can use. But the digital signal is integrated into that transmission, and takes a box to decode, and to get all the extra channels, the interactive program guide, VOD, and to be able to use the DVR.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a similar thing there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts