Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For you, Matt.

Note: I'm playing this with a keyboard, and it's just for an example, so the playing is NOT tight. The MIDI editor works as expected, and imo the tone is pretty damn good.

(My mix, however, is not, since it's just raw to the master bus, so it's loud as hell)

http://www.chrisquigley.com/mg-mp3s/cakewalk-bass.mp3

Here's my settings for this clip:

For $49, that's really not that bad at all. I've no idea how to mix bass, but I think this could sound pretty damn decent in a mix.

As soon as I can figure out how to render just the bass track, I'll post that up too. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's a standalone. What are you looking to do? I thought you wanted to program basslines in MIDI? That's what this does. :scratch:

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
There's a standalone. What are you looking to do? I thought you wanted to program basslines in MIDI? That's what this does. :scratch:
He's probably referring to using it as a virtual instrument inside his DAW. Pro Tools doesn't (AFAIK) support the VST format natively, so that won't work. I'm interested in it also, but without Audio Units support (for Logic Pro), it won't work for me either. :(

·
Read Only
3 Posts
I want to use it as a VI in my DAW, and that bass sounds really good!

He's probably referring to using it as a virtual instrument inside his DAW. Pro Tools doesn't (AFAIK) support the VST format natively, so that won't work. I'm interested in it also, but without Audio Units support (for Logic Pro), it won't work for me either. :(
Correct, Pro Tools doesn't natively support VSTs.

forgive me being daw-dumb, but why can't you use a wrapper?
I can, but I'd have to buy one, and that's just another expense... though I guess with all the good, cheap (some free) VSTs it's not a terrible investment.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aaah, alright. FWIW, I'm running it as an AU in Reaper. (I think that's the same as "using it as a VI in a DAW", right? :lol:)

·
Serious Bedroom Guitarist
982 Posts
I tried this out together with DFH to create a couple of backtracks from Guitar pro midi exports and I must say it sounds really good!

·
982 Posts
I've played around with this some more, still think it sounds awesome (especially for it's price). One problem I've run into though is that midi files exported from Guitar Pro contains notes too low for the plugin (somewhere in octave 1 I think, it's the range in the midi editor that starts with C1) which just don't make any sound when the VST is applied. Any ideas? (any that are not transpose the notes to the next octave are extra welcome :) )

·
18,790 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)sponge:: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Toe-Knee said:
what a con.

Surely there'll be some free homebrew wrappers out there?
There's basically no free, homebrew anything for Pro Tools.

·
982 Posts
Today (last day) this bundle is €15! There is some sort of huge discount coupled with a 20% off everything at cakewalk (promo code TAKE20).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts