7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Let's do it! :flex:

https://soundcloud.com/tudio2-akt%2Femg-81-vs-60-in-the-bridge-comparison
Part 1/4 = EMG 81 with drums
Part 2/4 = EMG 60 with drums
Part 3/4 = EMG 81 alone
Part 4/4 = EMG 60 alone

The EMG 60 is TIGHTER, and also, there's not really anything "thin" about it either.

However, I do not like the 60 for soloing, the 81 has far better harmonics and fluid feel.
But for rhythm guitar, I've discovered the 60 to be one of the fucking best.
The 81 is good, but the 60 is... tighter, as I said :flex:

So, now I will change back to EMG 81 and save the 60 for a possible hardtail guitar...

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Minute difference. Sounds nearly identical. Classic combo tho
Yeah, the difference is not that huge.
I was using a Kemper by the way, and I've had pickups sounding way different, so it's not like a Line 6 Spider where all guitars sound almost the same :lol:

But 60 is tighter, and probably by the fact that it's lower output.

Bridge = 81 for lead guitar, 60 for riffing
Neck = 81 or 85 for lead guitar, and 60 works for clean... but I didn't like it for distorted lead work so much

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Yeah, the difference is not that huge.
I was using a Kemper by the way, and I've had pickups sounding way different, so it's not like a Line 6 Spider where all guitars sound almost the same :lol:

But 60 is tighter, and probably by the fact that it's lower output.

Bridge = 81 for lead guitar, 60 for riffing
Neck = 81 or 85 for lead guitar, and 60 works for clean... but I didn't like it for distorted lead work so much
Couldn't disagree more ;)

There is literally no worse neck pickup in the WORLD than an 85. I'd take an 81 over it any day. And a 60 over that. The 60 is a fucking glorious, raspy, almost single coil type tone in the neck. So much character and flavour.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Couldn't disagree more ;)

There is literally no worse neck pickup in the WORLD than an 85. I'd take an 81 over it any day. And a 60 over that. The 60 is a fucking glorious, raspy, almost single coil type tone in the neck. So much character and flavour.
Well, I'm not going to make a "Calling Mattayus! You were WROOONG!!!" because you talk out A) taste, and B) your description of the 60 in the neck is spot on.
However, describing something you like with "it has character" is just... I dont know... EVERY pickup has character.
It's like saying "outer space is big"... Yeah we know... But it doesn't tell anything about it.
However, "raspy and almost single coil type tone" is 100% and actually describes the sound. :)

jaxadam on the other hand, said that the 81 is tighter than 60... But that's completly wrong, and I have audio proof right above.

For me, I prefer the 85; but I totally see why some other people (for example you) wouldn't like it. It's very special, in the sense that it's the aboslutely fullest and all-out HOT neck pickup I've ever tried. It's not articulate at all, but I dont even want that most of the time in the neck.
The 81 is more articulate, and I will probably find use for that as well.
But the 60 isn't doing much for me, in the neck, simple because it has a "raspy and single coil type tone" that I dont like too much in the neck. :)
There's definitely a place for that tone too, so I might have a 60 in the neck of some guitar, some day. :)

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Also... There's literally barely any difference on a tonal level through full-on distortion. The player will probably feel it tighter, and I bet it's thin as fuck live. I actually really went off EMG's when I started gigging a lot. I couldn't bare how thin they sounded. The cut was amazing, and the consistency of course. Effortless playability. But I preferred to feel the cab really moving some air when I chugged down on my guitar. I still use hot/tight pickups, but if an 81 was too anaemic for me, I can't imagine a 60 being pleasurable in the bridge.

EDIT: I know, my bad, saying "character" is a bit non-descript. But I simply mean it has some identity - Something recognisable and unique. Unlike the 85 which is like a bland slab of butter being crammed in my ears.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also... There's literally barely any difference on a tonal level through full-on distortion. The player will probably feel it tighter, and I bet it's thin as fuck live. I actually really went off EMG's when I started gigging a lot. I couldn't bare how thin they sounded. The cut was amazing, and the consistency of course. Effortless playability. But I preferred to feel the cab really moving some air when I chugged down on my guitar. I still use hot/tight pickups, but if an 81 was too anaemic for me, I can't imagine a 60 being pleasurable in the bridge.

EDIT: I know, my bad, saying "character" is a bit non-descript. But I simply mean it has some identity - Something recognisable and unique. Unlike the 85 which is like a bland slab of butter being crammed in my ears.
I don't actually have full-on distoriton, I have the gain level (on my Kemper) for that particular profile to about 4/10, which is backed down from like 6 or 7 from original profile.

Being a bland slab of bytter is ALSO recognisable and unique feature :lol: I think we just don't like stuff the same way. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
They sound the same to me on your track (maybe my Bose Headphones...) but I have all those 3 PUPS (81/81/60) and I notice big differences between them, I also prefer the 60 on the Neck vs the 85 find it warmer.

Loved that Tone by the way and there's something about EMG's and this type of Distortion that seem's a perfect match :)

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They sound the same to me on your track (maybe my Bose Headphones...) but I have all those 3 PUPS (81/81/60) and I notice big differences between them, I also prefer the 60 on the Neck vs the 85 find it warmer.

Loved that Tone by the way and there's something about EMG's and this type of Distortion that seem's a perfect match :)
Dont listen after any difference in "tone" or "EQ".

Listen for the tightness. The 60 has more percussive attack than the 81. Which is the whole point of my comparison... Because Jaxadam claimed the absolute opposite :lol:

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
The only thing I could tell from your clip is that I *slightly* preferred the 81.

Congrats, though. I'm glad you found a pickup you like.

But to me, in my part of the country, through my guitars, through my amps, the way I play, I had the 60 in the bridge for all of about a day and swapped it back to the 81. It sounded thin to me, and not as tight. This also might have something to do with the fact that I don't touch EMG's unless they have an 18 v mod on them. So my experiences have always been with 18 volts.

But I will say I drastically prefer the 60 or 60A in the neck over the 81 or the 85. 81 bridge 60 neck is probably my favorite combo.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
I couldn't hear any obvious difference in tightness (both sound tighter than a nun's nether regions), but the 60 sounded a bit fatter and fuller in the bass without flubbing out. I absolutely love the 60 in the neck, never tried it in the bridge though.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The only thing I could tell from your clip is that I *slightly* preferred the 81.

Congrats, though. I'm glad you found a pickup you like.

But to me, in my part of the country, through my guitars, through my amps, the way I play, I had the 60 in the bridge for all of about a day and swapped it back to the 81. It sounded thin to me, and not as tight. This also might have something to do with the fact that I don't touch EMG's unless they have an 18 v mod on them. So my experiences have always been with 18 volts.

But I will say I drastically prefer the 60 or 60A in the neck over the 81 or the 85. 81 bridge 60 neck is probably my favorite combo.
Thats okay dude :) I'm really not trying to convince you to start using the 60 instead of 81, but I'm a huge sucker for "facts" :flex:
I also don't say there's a HUGE difference, but it's there, and noticable, otherwise I wouldn't care at all. 60 is tighter, thanks to lower output.
The 81 is beefier. 85 is even beefier than 81.

Ok, I have no idea how any EMGs sounds with 18v because I've never tried it. Tempted to however! Does it really make a noticable difference? I haven't found any recordings that has convinced me to try it out. There has been as little difference as in my clip I uploaded for this thread :lol:

It COULD also come down to a defintion misunderstanding here (and with that I mean that both are right, in our own ways);

For me, tightness is about "pick attack". If there's a very short attack with no "sustain" (or what you would call it) I say it's a tight pickup.
And my clip shows... 60 has more pick attack. Which I equals to tighter.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I couldn't hear any obvious difference in tightness (both sound tighter than a nun's nether regions), but the 60 sounded a bit fatter and fuller in the bass without flubbing out. I absolutely love the 60 in the neck, never tried it in the bridge though.
No, there's no obvious differnce like comparing a vintage singlecoil to a Duncan Invader, but that's true for basically all pickups; they mostly sound roughly the same, and then there's those details you look for to really gel with your personal prefence. If my life depended on playing Dimarzio Paf PROs for the rest of my life, I don't think I would make shit recordings; it would sound "almost the same", I would just have to tweak the amp a bit.

The 60 in bridge isn' the best for soloing in my opinion. I immiediatly ripped it out and put back the 81 in my guitar.
I don't think I would use a 60 for live gigging with lots of solos, it's more a studio thing when I want ridiolous tightness in my rhythm tracks. :flex:

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
Time to chisel in a second battery box to your Warmoth for 18V? :lol:

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Yeah, give it a shot. You never know until you try. For me, through my setup, in my guitars, in Florida, through my amp, the way I play, the 18 v mid sounds better or I wouldn't do it. Some people say it makes no difference but to my ears it does.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wirelessly posted

Yeah, give it a shot. You never know until you try. For me, through my setup, in my guitars, in Florida, through my amp, the way I play, the 18 v mid sounds better or I wouldn't do it. Some people say it makes no difference but to my ears it does.
Could you describe what I should expect from 18v?

If I like the 18v mod, I still think I wanna have the original 9v sound at times, so I will probably install the battery with some sort of miniswitch so I can access both volts at any time.

Time to chisel in a second battery box to your Warmoth for 18V? :lol:
That's what I have my sledgehammer for

1 - 20 of 57 Posts