Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Camera research: non GP options?

2K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  1 
#1 ·
We are looking to upgrade our video recording setup for the band.

Currently our options are a Hero 7 black (top end of budget) or two cheaper cameras. I'm hoping some of you have real world experience with GP alternatives.

I'm looking up reviews on various cameras. Our main concern is handling the high volume of a live show and battery life. We've been tracked at 115dB or more. 4K and remote control via app is a plus but 1080P is what we're running now (hero 4 silver). Removable battery definitely a plus!

What say ye?

#2 ·
No personal experience but how about one of the Zoom video recorders? If they’re at all like the audio recorders, you can at least dial back the microphone’s levels to a safer level.

#3 ·
No personal experience but how about one of the Zoom video recorders? If they're at all like the audio recorders, you can at least dial back the microphone's levels to a safer level.
My hope if we go non GP is that we can Jeff it if it can't handle practice levels. Record a song in low light at the jamspace would answer our questions.

#8 ·
#9 ·
Thanks for the tip, Chris! :ugh:

We determined that the 7 black is beyond our needs. We dont really need 4k either since instagram compresses videos, and most phone screens dont run it yet. Research continues, but the less fancy GP stuff is now in the running along sony etc.

#12 ·
Also check out the Runcam 3S. The software isn't as good as the GoPros but they're decent cameras for $100 (and unlike the GoPro Session, which shares a form factor, the battery is replaceable!)

EDIT: Apparently it's slightly larger than the Session (and the old Runcam 3). Runcam has gone all-in on the drone racing market as a budget alternative to strapping a GoPro as a bumper on top of a vehicle going 60mph through trees. The GP will probably be a better experience, but the price difference is significant.

https://shop.runcam.com/runcam-3s/

#14 ·
Well, that will do 1080p, but I think the GoPro is better on the latter two items.

I'm not sure what battery life is on these (some reviews have said it's at best limited, but it's better than the Session at least in that you can swap batteries) since all the drone guys are recording 3-5 minute clips at a time. Also, GoPro has an established dealer network, and RunCam's is more limited and online-only.

Really, though, if you just want something simple, swappable battery, etc., and only need 1080p, maybe look at an older/lower model GoPro? You don't need the crazy image processing or resolution of the new ones, from the sound of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.