Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently sold my Peavey 5150 and I'm looking for a replacement. Honestly I've been looking for an EVH 5150 III 50w. I just happened to notice an ad for this Mesa boogie stiletto trident local. Can anybody give me information on this?

https://cosprings.craigslist.org/msg/6151640248.html?lang=en&cc=gb

I should state that I am looking for something that still has lots of gain and good metal tones but something a little more versatile than the 5150.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
It's a really good amp; I think Leon has one. Very British in flavor, and loud as hell. The 5150III 50w is pretty decent, but it's too compressed and noisy as hell.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
That's a really good price, too. Wonder how it compares to the Triple Recto, since the Trident seems to be the Triple Recto's british cousin.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
If you want a 5153 the mesa wont sound like that.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
My Stiletto is the Deuce 2, not the Trident. I've heard negative things about the Trident, but haven't played one personally, so YMMV. That amp is highly flavored by its power tubes, so it's likely that it's gotten a bad rap just from running "standard" EL34s.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't say that I'm really all that interested but I saw it and its local so I thought I'd ask. Thank you for the information guys.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Just checked it out, and it looks like it's a 2 (Stage 2, second edition, version 2, etc, etc :lol: ). For $750, I'd say jump on it. I don't know if the Trident in 50W mode is the same as the Deuce in 50W mode, but if it is, DO EET :agreed:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Also, it is NNNNNOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTT a Triple Recto with EL34s. If you want that, get a Triple, and load it with EL34s. :lol:

The Stiletto's, IMO, are like a JCM800 (Ch1 Crunch & Ch2 Crunch), a tight pissed off JCM800 (Ch2 Tite), and something I don't understand totally awesome (Ch3 Fluid).

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Also, it is NNNNNOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTT a Triple Recto with EL34s. If you want that, get a Triple, and load it with EL34s.

The Stiletto's, IMO, are like a JCM800 (Ch1 Crunch & Ch2 Crunch), a tight pissed off JCM800 (Ch2 Tite), and something I don't understand totally awesome (Ch3 Fluid).
110% accurate.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
I played Noodles' Stiletto for a show once. I did not like it at all. It blends really well with a Rectifier, but on its own it was not fun to play. :2c:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Shit, that IS a good price.

The Stiletto I played (an Ace combo) wasn't for me, but was a cool amp. Basically, take the Recto sound, and reshape that to the overall "shape" of a Mesa sound. Way tighter low end, more of a midrange focus, and snarly high end. I wanted more of a Mark than a Marshall, but it had a spectacular clean channel and would have been a killer hard rock rhythm amp. It was too bright for me, but I like dark tones, so YMMV.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Mine was SUPER bright when I got it, too. Sir Noods suggested the Tung Sol EL34B, which really tamed the highs, and sounded great. I'm running JJ EL34II's in it right now, which, sonically, I think are exactly the same.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I had a 5150III 50W I don't recall it being particularly noisey but I played with mainly the clean and crunch channel and not the uber high gain channel.

I think 750 is a good price BUT can't you get a 5150III 50W used for the same price? Better to go with the amp you want rather than a different amp just because it is a good price.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had a 5150III 50W I don't recall it being particularly noisey but I played with mainly the clean and crunch channel and not the uber high gain channel.

I think 750 is a good price BUT can't you get a 5150III 50W used for the same price? Better to go with the amp you want rather than a different amp just because it is a good price.
yup, you are exactly right. I think I just need to stay with my plan and pickup a 5153.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
I've heard negative things about the Trident, but haven't played one personally, so YMMV.
Did the Trident and Ace ever get a 2nd revision like the Deuce and are based on the Stage 1 Deuce? Or are the Ace and Trident based on the Stage 2 Deuce?

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Did the Trident and Ace ever get a 2nd revision like the Deuce and are based on the Stage 1 Deuce? Or are the Ace and Trident based on the Stage 2 Deuce?
AFAIK, the Deuce and Trident received updates, but the Ace was badass enough that it didn't get one.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
AFAIK, the Deuce and Trident received updates, but the Ace was badass enough that it didn't get one.
Aaah I see. Kinda surprised to see people hated the Trident. I guess the extra headroom made it sound too bright?

And the love for the Ace in here makes me want to check one out. :lol:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I'm not sure what it was about the Trident that some folks didn't like, never played one!

Buuuut, a Stg2 is def worth $750, I think. And, if the OP is looking for more versatility than a 5150, even the 2 ch Stiletto will deliver. Mine LOVES pedals, which makes changing things up a bit pretty fun.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts