Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I have a 6505+ and Jet City JCA50H.

I like both of those heads but the more I think about it, the more I think a Marshall is what I am looking for given that I enjoy 70s and 80s hard rock and metal.

So I started looking at videos and kijiji listings.

JCM 800 seems pretty awesome, maybe not much by way of clean tones but there's a great video of a dimed JCM 800 and the variable tones the person got by controlling the volume and pick up on the guitar. Price wise it looks like people ask around 1600 in this area.

The JVM 205 and 410 sound pretty good too and are often cheaper than JCM 800. Seems more versatile.

JCM 900 sounds okay too and is definitely cheaper.

JCM 2000 not sure haven't really looked into it much.

JMP haven't looked into it much either as I am still researching.

Any thoughts on what I might enjoy and bonus if it is on the cheaper side of the Marshall Spectrum.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
The only thing worse than a JCM900 is a TSL. JCM800s are fine but pretty overpriced presently. JMP's are sweet but if you can't crank them, they'll sound like shit.

A comparable cheaper alternative is a Laney AOR Pro Lead series. Awesome amps and nail that British 70s/80s tone.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The JCM 800 is LOUD. You will get most of the tones you like from the JCM800 from the Jet City on the first channel with the gain lower and the master volume higher, at a fraction of the volume and cost.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
People shit on JCM900s, but the MKIII is a legitimately good head and would be right up your alley. It's the most organic sounding of the JCM800s.

You might want to check out the JVM410H, 410HJS, or the 6100. They're the most versatile Marshall heads. The JVM410's OD channels are more aggressive while the 410HJS is voiced to be smoother and less compressed. The 6100 has it's own thing going on but still has plenty of gain on tap.

If you go the JCM800 route, you might like the 2205 or 2210. They're 2-channel JCM800s with more gain and a smoother sound to them. There's also the Silver Jubilee that Marshall recently reintroduced. These are known for being a lead guitarist's amp given how smooth and open these amps sound, even though they have a hybrid tube/diode clipping preamp.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
People shit on JCM900s, but the MKIII is a legitimately good head and would be right up your alley. It's the most organic sounding of the JCM900s. .
I actually had one of them through the business the other week, a 50w 2500 version. While it sounded ok and better than the 4500 Dual Reverb model, it was still pretty meh. When you roll the 'sensitivity' control to zero you take the diodes out of the circuit but it's still missing something.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
The JVM sounds great, but is noisy as hell. The JCM800 is awesome, but (if bought new) overpriced.
I actually really like the Vintage Modern.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've had a valvestate which I loved and would get another one,
I had a JCM 900 which I didn't like probably more because I like a really tight sound and more gain (at least available although I may not use it)
And I've had 2 JVM 205 heads which I loved although the second one was a lemon.

I got a JVM 210 head, the 2 channel hundred watt head now and I also love it. I always play with a boost.

My sound to state simply is 90's death metal for reference.

If you're considering a JVM, save yourself a thousand bucks and buy a used one. They're a dime a dozen and new ones are really expensive.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
The JVM sounds great, but is noisy as hell. The JCM800 is awesome, but (if bought new) overpriced.
I actually really like the Vintage Modern.
The Vintage Modern is pretty good. It's closer to a JTM than anything else, though. You gotta mess around with the Detail and Body controls, otherwise the amp can get really undefined and muddy super quick.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the responses.

I am definitlely comfortable with used so the Joe Satriani and Silver Jubilee would probably be hard ones to find.

The JVMs from a price point of view are definitely appealing.

Not having to crank the amp would be nice. But I do have an untouched Cabclone and a half built PC that could use some attention.....

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
The JVM is probably the most comfortable low-volume Marshall. It heavily relies on preamp distortion, unlike other Marshalls that rely on power amp distortion. It still needs to be cranked to get some love, though.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The JCM 800 is LOUD. You will get most of the tones you like from the JCM800 from the Jet City on the first channel with the gain lower and the master volume higher, at a fraction of the volume and cost.
Yes I definitely prefer the clean vs overdrive channel on the JCA50. There seems to a point on the OD channel where it is "too much" gain for my tastes.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The amp I am still gassing for is the Friedman BE100 but with the terrible Canadian dollar it is about 1000 Canadian dollars more than when I first started saving for one.

I'd rather set that money aside and see if the dollar recovers at least a little bit or a used one comes along.

Mean time some sort of used marshall would be fun.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Buy a Stiletto II instead. It's got that great Marshall power amp grind, but with that tight, saturated preamp gain that makes Mesa great.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Or buy a jcm800 2203. Which is my main amp now and I use it clean with a fulltone OCD for dirt. It is glorious.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
The amp I am still gassing for is the Friedman BE100 but with the terrible Canadian dollar it is about 1000 Canadian dollars more than when I first started saving for one.

I'd rather set that money aside and see if the dollar recovers at least a little bit or a used one comes along.

Mean time some sort of used marshall would be fun.
Wait, you find the JCA has too much gain, but you want a BE100? :lol: Dude, the BE is like über hotrod marshall. More gain than you'd know what to do with.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
If I wanted a Marshall-esque sound, it's either Plexi for classic rock and blues or JCM 800 for thrash. The Plexi is an awesome sounding amplifier.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Wait, you find the JCA has too much gain, but you want a BE100? :lol: Dude, the BE is like über hotrod marshall. More gain than you'd know what to do with.
I dunno something about the videos for the be works for me. Still haven't tried one yet as the closest store with one is a hike.

Is there such thing as vintage gain vs modern gain? The jca sounds more modern to me. But i probably need to test drive some more amps. I am feeling a bit more confident about trying stuff in stores now that i have been taking lessons.

I find that the videos of the BE100 where people plays Led Zeppelin and VH sound amazing. Whearas with the JCA I feel that the OD channel is better suited for more modern metal/hard rock. I do enjoy the first channel with medium gain and a mid favouring eq.

Yes there are vids of higher gain but this is the stuff for BE100 that appeals to me

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
I'm also in the camp that likes the JCM900, mine sounded fucking awesome. But as with most Marshalls you did have to get it LOUD to make it sound good. JCM2000's sound like poop, especially the TSL. JVM's pretty encapsulate all the best Marshall tones in one amp, so are a great buy.

Noodles' suggestion of a Stiletto isn't a bad one either, basically the Master of Puppets tone in one amp, plus a shedload more versatile sounds besides.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
All this being said, if the JCA has too much gain for you... just don't turn the gain up that high :lol:

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
All this being said, if the JCA has too much gain for you... just don't turn the gain up that high :lol:
LOL good point. And that is what I am doing.

It just doesn't sound Marshally.

The problem isn't that the JCA has too much gain but it just doesn't quite have the tone that I am looking for.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts