Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Can someone tell me whats so great about the MM Petruccis?

3K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  eleven59 
#1 ·
Not trying to flame them or anything, I'm just puzzled as to why they are so incredibly successful. At first I thought it was just internet forum bandwagon hopping, but the two "metal" guys both bought petruccis as their main guitars when it came in the shop.

I've played three (as well as the lower end sterling), and while they are nice guitars, theres many things I can think of that I would prefer at the price. And from the ones I played there was nothing special tonewise about the guitar either. It has good playability but there are lots of Jacksons/ESP/Ibanez/etc.. at the same price point that are just as playable. I do get the appeal of the piezo on the higher end ones. Could you guys fill me in on whats so great about these guitars?

#11 ·
If memory serves, the main control plate is recessed, as is the cover plate for the mag/piezo switch on the upper horn. The mag/piezo output jack plate is thin metal, so it's not much of an issue. The trem cover plate is not recessed, but to do so, they'd have to make the body thicker or the trem block shorter. With a Tremol-No on, i couldn't reinstall the plate (but this was pre-pin-type). The battery compartment is a stock piece... not much can be done about that.

#12 ·
I agree with the OP. I've always thought that the EB/MM JP's were over-rated, although still nice. I would just prefer other options in that price range.

Tons of electrics have been made with piezos over the years, so I do not personally feel that having piezos is really a notable selling point on a guitar at this price. There are also plenty of guitars that have similar ergonomics at this price.

I do not see what makes them earth-shatteringly novel. Just a package of good standard options with a very high-prestige name.

#15 ·
The neck and controls are very comfy. The piezo sounds nice.

Couldn't get a standard electric tone I liked out of it though while I owned one.

#16 ·
I agree that the ergonomics of these are pretty good, but I don't think it warrants the price at all. The tone is the same as any number of other basswood guitars out there, except this comes with a grossly out of proportion headstock that must have suffered from fetal alcohol syndrome in the design stage.

The fact that I was just as comfortable playing this as I was playing a Jackson DK2 was the final nail in the coffin for me. If you don't like the ergonomics of neck heels, a neck thru would be the better answer, not a more expensive bolt on---because whether its square, rounded, or tapered like an AANJ a bolt-on heel is still a bolt-on heel. Any day of the week I would get a less expensive Jackson (a new bolt on or a used USA neck thru) or hell even an ESP LTD neck thru and drop a graph tech LB63 in and call it a day.:2cents:

#17 ·
Well, I guess there is some pretty solid reasoning for liking them after all. I still find it amazing that they have done as well as they have, but I guess I'm just not as in touch with what the general guitar buying public wants as Ernie Ball. I would venture to say that it is probably the most successful signature guitar on the market now.

#21 ·
I wouldn't say that it's the most successful sig on the market now. It's expensive, rare, and a bit specialized.

Hell, there are way more JEMs or RRs or the like out there nowadays.

#29 ·
Wirelessly posted :)dio:: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; HERO200 Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

While it is not the guitar for me, there is a reason they cost what they do. EBMM makes some of the finest production electrics available, period. They destroy an Ibanez Universe, it really isn't even close. Amazingly comfortable, great fretwork, superb fit and finish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.