Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I'm positive that this will help the plight of gays and lesbians looking for equal rights under the law. I'm positive that this will make straight people be sympathetic to their plight. :roll2:

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's all going crazy in the colonies. They recently announced a plan to rewrite Huckleberry Finn, dunno if you saw it. :(
Well that's totally understandable, the "N" word is only acceptable if comming from a black gangsta rapper :rolleyes:

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll have to check with him, but I'm 99.99% certain my gay brother-in-law doesn't give a fuck about "******" featuring in the lyrics to the song.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
I'm positive that this will help the plight of gays and lesbians looking for equal rights under the law. I'm positive that this will make straight people be sympathetic to their plight. :roll2:
If I ruled the world you'd be my minister of communications. Someone should put that on advertising hoarding all over the maple syrup-obsessed country.

·
18,790 Posts
There is far, far too much wrong with the Canadian music/radio/broadcast industry, but the blame also has to be put in the hands of the people sitting at home writing letters. I mean, give this a browse, and pay attention to the "complainant" and his seemingly overdeveloped sense of self-importance and entitlement:

CBSC Decision | CJDJ-FM re the song "Load Me Up" by Matthew Good Band

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Well that's totally understandable, the "N" word is only acceptable if comming from a black gangsta rapper :rolleyes:
Actually, now that you mention it:

After reading the reply carefully, I still feel as though the reply I received is unsatisfactory.

In the letter, [OZ FM's Senior Vice President] lists a number of reasons in an attempt to justify his stations airing the uncensored version of the song. One of the reasons given was the awards and acclaim that the original version of the song has received. These include 1986 Grammy for Record of the Year and 1986 American Music Award for Record of the Year. This is comparable to the achievements of Kanye West's 2005 song "Gold Digger" which received 9 Grammy nominations, including Record of the Year, and is certified triple platinum. This song contains another discriminatory slur, not directed towards sexual orientation, but towards race. When played on OZ FM, this slur is censored despite the song's achievements. I fail to see a difference between the two situations.
CBSC Decision | CHOZ-FM re the song "Money for Nothing" by Dire Straits

This is only a ban on the unedited version of the song. We're not the first ones to do this in general, or even with this particular song.

·
Motherfucker.
3,459 Posts

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
A Halifax rock station says it will play an unedited version of Money for Nothing on repeat for a full hour on Friday after the song was deemed unfit for Canadian radio because of a gay slur in its lyrics.

The Canadian Broadcast Standards Council ruled Wednesday that the Dire Straits hit violates the industry's code of ethics.

Q104's program director, J.C. Douglas, said the station is concerned with the precedent the decision sets, calling it a "tragic error in judgment" that puts the independent watchdog on "the slippery slope to censorship."

The station said members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community will be on hand for its marathon of the song, which Douglas noted is satirical in nature.

He said the council's decision could end up trivializing the work done by the LGBT community to further its cause "by creating a sense of excessive political correctness."

A similar marathon is being planned by K-97, a classic hits radio station in Edmonton.

Last year, a listener to radio station CHOZ-FM in St. John's complained that the 1980s rock song includes the word "******" in its lyrics and is discriminatory to gays.

The Canadian Broadcast Standards Council has said the song contravenes the human rights clauses of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters' Code of Ethics and Equitable Portrayal Code.

The Money for Nothing ban applies to every private Canadian radio station.

The council only takes action if there is a complaint, so if another station were to play the unedited version of the song, action would only be taken if a listener took up the cause again.

"Our programming should be judged on the basis of whether it meets community standards," Douglas said in a news release.

"When a song has played for 25 years without incident, it meets community standards."

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scoti...r-nothing-marathon.html?ref=rss#ixzz1B26lHZjT
CBC News - Nova Scotia - Money for Nothing marathon planned in Halifax

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
I guess we won't be allowed to play or here "Golliwog's Dance" by Debussy soon. Now that you mention, I remember all those black people complaining about it.

·
Habitual Line Stepper
490 Posts
Why the fuck can't people just accept things that were created in different times as educational? IE the Huck finn censorship.

Everybody is so uptight about everything.

Are they going to change history? Lets replace all of the Nazis in WW2 docs with ewoks as they portray Germany in bad light.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Why the fuck can't people just accept things that were created in different times as educational? IE the Huck finn censorship.

Everybody is so uptight about everything.

Are they going to change history? Lets replace all of the Nazis in WW2 docs with ewoks as they portray Germany in bad light.
It's because people get offended because they think it is the right thing to do. I guaran-fucking-tee you that the person who called up to complain about this song wasn't gay. I guaran-fucking-tee you that the person who wants to edit Huckleberry Finn isn't anything other than the whitest white.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
It's because people get offended because they think it is the right thing to do. I guaran-fucking-tee you that the person who called up to complain about this song wasn't gay.
The official complaint I linked to indicates that they are.

A song was aired, "Money For Nothing" by Dire Straits, and included the word "******" a total of three times. I am aware of other versions of the song, in which the word was replaced with another, and yet OZ FM chose to play and not censor this particular version that I am complaining about.

I find this extremely offensive as a member of the LGBT community and feel that there is absolutely no valid reason for such discriminatory marks to be played on-air.

·
Motherfucker.
3,459 Posts
What about "Fairytale of New York" by The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl? The word "******" is in there as well, they going to ban that as well?

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

"Whoa, those guys are members of the LGBT community!"

1 - 20 of 33 Posts