Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i've been using an older Visiontek Radeon X700 video card for a while now (256MB, PCI-E, VisionTek Xtasy Radeon X700 (PCI-E, 256MB) specs and Graphics Card specifications - CNET Reviews ), and I just recently upgraded to a Samsung 22" 2253LW LCD monitor. I've been using the VGA/D-SUB/Analog connections for a while and it will display the native solution for the monitor 1680x1050 no problem.

So I decided to get a DVI cable to up the quality, but now it doesn't display right. I can adjust the screen resolution in display properties to 1680x1050, but it streches it out past the edge of the monitor and i have to scroll over with the mouse to get to the other parts of the screen that are streched beyond. I check in my ATI Catalyst Control Center and it says the maximum reported resolution for the monitor is now 1280x1064, and when I have my monitor display information about it's resolution it displays 1280x1064, even if I have it set on 1680x1050 in Windows.

I have a Compaq SR2038X with 2 gig RAM running Windows XP SP3, the Visiontek card is 256MB PCI-E. What the hell am I doing wrong? It will display 1680x1050 on analog fine! Do I need a different video card, ie. the maximum resolution the video card can put out for DVI is 1280x1024? Did I get kinda screwed on the monitor and the max resolution it can handle/accept for DVI is 1280x1024 despite it's ability to display 1680x1024 in analog, so I would need a new monitor? Am I missing something? I downloaded all the latest drivers for the card and everything I could find, I just want to get things to work in 1680x1024 for DVI! :wallbash:

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
are you running the latest catalyst drivers? i'd personally run a driver sweeper, remove all ati drivers, and then install the latest drivers, even if you already had them. also, make sure you install the display drivers from samsung...

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
are you running the latest catalyst drivers? i'd personally run a driver sweeper, remove all ati drivers, and then install the latest drivers, even if you already had them. also, make sure you install the display drivers from samsung...
I uninstalled the ATI drivers and everything and reinstalled them to the latest version, I havent done a driver sweeper and I dunno what that is... :ugh: I downloaded and installed the driver software from Samsung too, still same problem...I will try the driver sweeper and see if that works...

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So i uninstalled everything from ATI/Catalyst, did a driver sweeper and all that, removed all monitor drivers, I re-installed all the ATI/Catalyst drivers, reinstalled the monitor drivers from Samsung....it's still doing the same thing. Displays fine for 1680x1050 on analog, limits the resolution to 1280x1024 on digital. Setting the digital resolution to 1680x1050 makes the display larger than the monitor and i have to move the mouse past the screen to scroll it and see the entire image. Hopefully it's just time for a new video card, and not that the monitor is unable to display 1680x1050 in digital mode... :wallbash:

·
I like turtles!
722 Posts
There's a reason I don't use Radeon gear, and this is it. They're drivers are horrible and buggy from experience.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thinking that it was my ancient video card that didn't support 1680x1050 in DVI I went and bought a new card, a Visiontek X1550 (256MB, PCI-E, supports way past 1680x1050 in DVI). Install video card, uninstall ATI software/drivers, run a driver sweeper to make sure to get everything, installed drivers/software for new X1550, same issue. Displays 1680x1050 in Analog fine, but when I switch to Digital it keeps showing the max supported resolution of the monitor is 1280x1024, and if I go higher than that it streches the screen past the edges where I have to scroll over to see the rest....argh! :wallbash: Someone please help!

·
Rule #2: Double Tap
140 Posts
It could be a refresh rate issue. Check out this website, it helps tune the rates on NVIDIA and ATI cards, and other cards based on those chipsets.

RivaTuner

I just picked up a 22" HP High Def monitor, but need to get a DVI to HDMI cable/adapter and I'm also crossing my fingers that I can drop it into 1680x1050.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I figured it out...it looks like the EDID Samsung put on the monitor is wrong...the EDID is showing a max resolution of 1280x1024 instead of 1680x1050, so the ATI/Catalyst drivers are reading off that EDID and forcing that maximum resolution, which would explain the scaling issue when trying to go higher than that...unfortunately the Catalyst Control Center software/drivers don't give me the option to ignore EDID information for DVI/Digital like it does for VGA/D-Sub/Analog...

So my next question I suppose is, does anybody know how to overwrite/correct/modify/edit/change the monitor EDID? Or is the monitor defunct and I need to exchange for a new one?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Damnit, the monitor is write-protected so I can't flash a new EDID :( anybody have any idea how to get around that?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's what I'm using to try and flash the new EDID to the monitor, but the monitor is write-protected for the EPPROM so it won't let me write/flash the new EDID... :(

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
i can't even find via google any way to override the edid... my question to you though is, why do you feel dvi will look substantially better? i've run both on my LCD and i'm hard pressed to actually see a difference... i understand ones analog and ones digital, but does it really translate to your eyes?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i can't even find via google any way to override the edid... my question to you though is, why do you feel dvi will look substantially better? i've run both on my LCD and i'm hard pressed to actually see a difference... i understand ones analog and ones digital, but does it really translate to your eyes?
I can definitely tell a difference, but it's moreso me having OCD and having to have things work perfectly. It just annoys me that it's setup wrong and things shouldn't be this way :lol:

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
i understand, i'm the same way, i wish i had an answer for you... have you considered contacting samsung? that might be a good step to take

·
Banned
2,695 Posts
Very strange. Im using slightly larger Samsung monitors in digital 1920x1200 and not having any issues. Even on my home SQL server that is 2003 Server it works flawlessly. I suspect you may need to go to a different monitor if you crave digital.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You guys are gonna love this...since I couldn't overwrite the EDID I went back to work (where I bought it from) and asked how long it would take to send it in to Samsung to fix and they said 4-6 weeks so I said FUCK that, we didnt have anymore of that particular model in stock so I exchange for a different 22" Samsung, the 223BW. I get it home, boots up fine. But then the fucking screen goes BLACK after about 15 seconds, turn it off and back on, stays on for about 10 seconds, then does the same thing. Did some research and sounds like a bad lamp or bad inverter, at this point it's so rediculous that it's just comical to me. So I go back to work, exchange it one more time giving fucking Samsung one last chance, and lo and behold this 223BW works perfectly! no display issues, 1680x1050 in digital just fine, I guess third time really is the charm!

·
Banned
2,695 Posts
Glad to hear. Sounds like you may have run into a lemon batch. Ive had really good luck with Samsungs and Ive bought quite a few this year for the offices.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts