Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I am staring down the neck of my Schecter and it appears to be fairly straight with maybe the slightest lick of relief. For some reason, adjusting the saddles doesn't make too much of a difference. It has the tonepros tun-o-matic bridge by the way. The low E saddle is moved all the way back and the string is STILL noticeably sharp at the twelfth fret :scream: What the HELL is wrong here?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
How's the bridge height? That sounds like it might be a bit too high.

Unrelated: Your avatar is fantastic. :lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
:agreed: :welcome:

What scale length, and are you tuning it to the normal E or lower? If you're actually trying to get a really low note, the bridge might not be far enough back to accommodate it. Past that I dunno.

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
It could be any one of a number of problems. High action requires more saddle offset, so it's worth lowering your action if at all possible. It may also be due to the string thickness; really thick strings require more saddle offset too, which TOMs don't tend to have a lot of.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, thanks for the quick replies everyone! I tune down to CGCFAD and it is a normal scale length guitar. The action is set high enough to eliminate most of the buzzing, so while it isn't the lowest, it isn't bad by any means. I will see if I can get it lower and find a compromise between buzz and intonation? I will post the results soon. Thank you all again! :metal:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Alright, so I lowered the action and that helped. The difference is noticeable,lowering the pickups helped the buzz as well, thanks guys. :yesway: I use tens (to above poster). Its still a number of cents off, but octaves now sound somewhat normal.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Also, you only ever want to set intonation with new strings. As strings get older, they rust, change, and oscillate weirdly, resulting in stuff like this where moving the saddles seem to have no effect. I don't really know why they do this, but they definitely do and it's a pain in the ass.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
To me (and hope I don't get flamed) depending on how low you tune, you need more saddle adjustment room.

When I tune my guitars to E standard or D standard, the range of the TOM's adjustment is fine. But once I go lower and lower (even after adjusting the height, trying different string gauges, checking neck relief) I've moved the E saddle as far back as it goes and it's still too sharp.

If you've got it covered, then you're set. But me, I think I need a Nashville sized TOM but think the string spacing's smaller. Only other solution is to extend the range by like 1/8" aka luthier time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What's the guage of the lowest string? 10's tell us nothing besides what your high E is...
46...I want my strings like I want my women...easy to manipulate! (nah, I ain't a jerk). I would figure "tens" would tell you everything unless I somehow omitted that they were a "heavy bottom, light top" set, which they are not.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
How old are the strings? Like I said, never set intonation with an old pair.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
:agreed: I use a .059 in B, which is a half-step below C. Years ago I used to run a .054 in E... yeah, in E.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
46...I want my strings like I want my women...easy to manipulate! (nah, I ain't a jerk). I would figure "tens" would tell you everything unless I somehow omitted that they were a "heavy bottom, light top" set, which they are not.
There are so many different variations of 10's, just saying 10's tells us all absolutely nada.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts