Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently don't have a wireless router. I figured until I get one, I can use my old G4 lappy with 10.5.7 to be the wireless router. It never leaves the house anymore so why not.

So I set it all up and it connects fine with my iPod touch, but not with my wife's and stepson's PC's.

Here's the thing, the PC's will work if I don't set a password on the wireless network.

Only options are 40/64bit WEP and 128bit WEP. I made sure when it was 40/64 that I used a 5 character alphanumeric password and 13 when setting it to 128.

Since I'm forced to not have it password protected, I edited my bootpd.plist to not broadcast DHCP, changed the subnet range to one that couldn't be guessed, then set the PC's to manual addresses. That works, but I'm worried about the security of my G4 lappy.

So has anyone ever ran into this and figured it out? Not much luck on google searching.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
So has anyone ever ran into this and figured it out? Not much luck on google searching.
No, since we buy wireless routers. :lol:

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hahaha, just gonna be a week before I can walk into a store and get one. Gonna get a dlink or belkin. Craigslist has deals too

And thanks elq! I'll try that tmrw :yesway:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts