·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
I read this as "Rob Thomas giving Carlos Santana smooth oral..."

[click] [click] [click]

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Clicked on this thread wondering how there could possibly be enough of an oral history to this song to warrant discussing. Was not disappointed. :lol:

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
The guys a fucking whack job. You know those "Masterclass" ads? Have you seen his? Like the unmitigated gibberish of a gutter-dwelling meth addict. If I wanted guitar lessons from Cheech and Chong I'd just get high and throw myself down a flight of stairs.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Carlos: You know that mode I play in every song I've ever written? I wrote a new song where I just play it over and over again.
Rob: *unzips wallet*

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Clearly none of you have ever been pregnant with a masterpiece that comes from a place of immortality outside of time and gravity.

There's a lot going on in this article, like the part where they subtley imply everyone with this song foresaw the future of latin immigration to America because everyone involved just happened to have their finger on the pulse of history, or the part where they congratulate themselves for taking the song to another level with the megaphone/telephone vocal effect, which was not just a vocal effect but was actually a genius commentary on race relations and the role of the transistor radio in minority culture in America.

But I think this part explains it best.

Putting aside the enigmatic and mysterious nature of the lyric, "Man, it's a hot one" that has enraptured audiences for close to two decades, the secret of the song is its multiple hooks.

The pre-chorus could be a chorus, fuck, the verse could be a chorus, the intro could also be a chorus.

Even the chorus could be a chorus.

Truly a next level masterpiece.

·
Bah. I still suck.
1,323 Posts
:dgaf:

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Honestly, I love this song so much that I don't even care.

It is a Masterpiece. :lol:

I love that album. "Supernatural."

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
omg i found it, holy shit check this out you guys, i'm gonna be a vIrTuOsO!!!!!

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
The guys a fucking whack job. You know those "Masterclass" ads? Have you seen his? Like the unmitigated gibberish of a gutter-dwelling meth addict. If I wanted guitar lessons from Cheech and Chong I'd just get high and throw myself down a flight of stairs.
:lol:

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
omg i found it, holy shit check this out you guys, i'm gonna be a vIrTuOsO!!!!!

His lead tone sounds awful in that video.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
^

You mean his lead tone sounds awful all the freakin' time? :lol:

It might be distinctive, but I can't stand it.

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
I remember the Supernatural interview with Guitar World where Santana was going off the rails praising Metatron. I knew all the hippie talk but this was a tad too out there. :ugh:

I was listening to Santana a hell of a lot back in the day, especially the instrumentals. I felt he started losing steam around Freedom onward, but every album has at least a few gems. I still love Europa, Love Is You, Samba Pa Ti, Moonflower etc.

When Smooth came out, I was willing to bear the fact that I can introduce my friends to Santana even when sharing the spotlight with the dude from the band I hated at the time, now I just dislike. But then he did that song with Michelle Branch, that's when I opted right out.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
I enjoy Europa and some of Santana's early work. I'm not enamored of his later efforts with guest singers - including "Smooth."

I did like the beginning of "Put Your Lights On" - for one reason or another (doesn't hurt that Everlast's vocals are in my key) - but about halfway through the song, he pulls this WTF moment for what could be considered a solo and it loses me.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I enjoy Europa and some of Santana's early work. I'm not enamored of his later efforts with guest singers - including "Smooth."

I did like the beginning of "Put Your Lights On" - for one reason or another (doesn't hurt that Everlast's vocals are in my key) - but about halfway through the song, he pulls this WTF moment for what could be considered a solo and it loses me.
Do you mean that bit at 2:20? That's "Saturday afternoon at Guitar Center" level shredding for sure.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I dug "Put Your Lights On" and feel like it still held up pretty well, and there are a few ok moments here and there elsewhere on that album... But, overall, for me that sounds like an album where somewhere along the way someone told Santana he had a reputation for "really memorable phrasing," so he started intentionally playing lines that sounded really "phrased."

1 - 20 of 35 Posts