Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
RGMS7
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I restrung my dc727 with a 64 for the low b string in the past and I was surprised to find it wouldn't fit through the tuner (I think they're Grovers?). So recently when restringing I bought a 60 thinking that it should definitely fit. Turns out i had to unwind a portion of the string to make this one fit too.

Is this normal? Can I get it routed to fit bigger strings or something? Unwinding part of the string each time isn't that tough, but it's something I'd rather not do. It seems strange to me that the tuner on a 7-string guitar can't even fit a 60 when I hear people using 80+ gauges. If it matters, I was using EB strings both times.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I fit a 64 on mine just fine. The locking mechanism is tighter when it's new though so you have to start with a gauge that fits and work up from there once the peg loosens up.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Unless theyve been replaced, odds are they are sperzels. You can unwrap the wrap such that the core is still wrapped at the nut, but not (or singly instead of doubly) wrapped at the tuner, but as you said, pain in the ass.

If it has a floyd, you can just cut it to fit, but with a fixed bridge, youre much more limited. You CAN get it drilled out, but make sure you find someone competent to do it

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Guys you see using bigger strings with locking tuners have drilled out the posts (I did this on several of my guitars). With Spertzels, it's easy: spin off the locking knob, drop the pin out the bottom (make sure to note which side of the rod is the top!), drill the hole out wider, and put it back together. With non-locking, you can either drill it, or just insert the string until you hit the winding, and wind forever.

·
Premium Member
RGMS7
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the quick replies everyone!

The guitar is several years old, so the locking mechanism definitely isn't getting any looser.

I'm aware that unwinding the string doesn't have any issues, but I'm pretty lazy when it comes to changing my strings as it is, and having to unwind just adds unnecessary time.

And d'oh, yes they're sperzels. :D

Guys you see using bigger strings with locking tuners have drilled out the posts (I did this on several of my guitars). With Spertzels, it's easy: spin off the locking knob, drop the pin out the bottom (make sure to note which side of the rod is the top!), drill the hole out wider, and put it back together. With non-locking, you can either drill it, or just insert the string until you hit the winding, and wind forever.
This is what I was looking for, much appreciated.

·
Registered
580 Posts
You were able to put the Sperzel back together after? Everytime I've taken one apart, the screw strips and I can never get it to go back together.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
You can also just order a wider bore Sperzel directly from them. I've got one on my Mushok, with a .68 string. No drilling required.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts