Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Perfect Djentelman
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

So Manny Huerta, Albert Comas and the wonderful guys at Carvin put this gorgeous instrument together for me. I was absolutely blown away by this model at NAMM, and this one came out even better (for my tastes at least!)

I only just got it, so I haven't really had a chance to dig in and get a good feel of how it compares to my other guitars. Right off the bat it is VERY resonant, has that directness to the notes that my Blackmachine, Modern Eagle and Dell'Isola seem to have, and is very lightweight unlike the one I tried at NAMM.
The pickups are surprisingly good, I will likely switch em out for BKPs eventually, but for the time being they will do just fine, and I will probably record a clip with the guitar as stock.

They set it up for Drop C with the strings/gauges I like (D'addario 11-56) and it arrived with a stellar setup. I don't know if there is something about headless guitars that just makes them play so effortlessly, but it does remind me of my Strandberg in that regard, despite being a different kind of headless beast otherwise.

Anyways here are pics:

Family shot:

Specs:
The top was a special color that they did on a DC727 for NAMM and I asked them for it, but since then I believe they have introduced it into their standard colors, here are the specs I went for:

*MA * Maple Neck/Alder Body (Standard)
*CG * Clear Gloss Finish (Standard)
5MW * 5*Piece Maple Neck w/ 2 Walnut Stripes
TN * Tung Oil Finish Back Of Neck (Natural Wood)
FMF * Flamed Maple Fingerboard (Tung*Oiled)
NIN * No Top Inlays * Side Dots Only
STJF * Stainless Jumbo Frets .055" H .110" W
*R20 * 20in Fretboard Radius (Standard)
*41 * H22T Bridge Pickup (Standard)
*42 * H22N Neck Pickup (Standard)
*400 * Black Pickups (Standard)
34 * Push/Pull Tone Control Coil Splitter
*BC * Black Hardware (Standard)
WL * White Logo
WK * Rosewood Knobs
SL * Dunlop Straplocks

Clips will come soon!

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Good lord that top is awesome!

Not sure how I feel about headless guitars. When I played Shannon's HH2 I felt like a damn giant. :lol:

·
Perfect Djentelman
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And that is bad why?

I know they had some QC issues for a little bit, but from what I played at NAMM this year and with this guitar it would seem they took that criticism to heart and really upped their game!

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
And that is bad why?
Only that, through no fault of your own, you've acquired a small mid-sized army of sheep. :lol:

That is a SICK top - I actually like it all the more for the fact that it isn't picture perfect, with that little slight divot in the quilting over the bridge pickup. It looks like you could drown in it.

EDIT - fixed. :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
And that is bad why?

I know they had some QC issues for a little bit, but from what I played at NAMM this year and with this guitar it would seem they took that criticism to heart and really upped their game!
That'd be nice if they did, for sure. I still think Carvin has a great model for the business, and their prices are still great, especially for a USA-made guitar.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
And that is bad why?

Its not bad at all. My main player for the last 4 years has been a carvin. I love carvin. Its just that IMO, there have been no more QC issues than any other brand. But now a lot of the people that like you are very very band wagony and will get a bunch just because you have one. Its not bad because i love carvin, i just hate followers is all.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
That looks absolutely stunning. I've got a Hipshot headless system in my shop. Time to start working on a prototype!

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
And just to clarify, I'm not trying to down you at all Bulb. Your an innovative guy and understand why you have a following. Wasnt trying to dog ya.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Bulb: consistently proving his great taste in guitars. And making us jealous.

Nice guitar, dude!

Errr....I mean, Bro, do you even Carvin?

Errrrrrr.....I mean.....does it djent?

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
That look great Misha.

How does it feel in comparison to the original H2s?

My old guitar teachers H2 was one of my favourite guitars ever.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I've always liked that shade of blue with a maple fretboard.:yesway:
Me too!

(I really gotta take better pictures of that guitar) It's tough to get to photograph well, though.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts