Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any experience with these?
I'm looking to scale down to a 212 combo amp since I won't really be playing out a whole lot anymore and I want something a bit more portable if I do.
I dig all the sound samples I've heard and I like the fact that you can either run it as open or closed back. The down side I see is that it's only 2 channels. I'd like atleast 3 but I can probably get by.
Also, they go for fairly cheap used.
Is there anything else I should know about these? Or any other combo amp suggestions?

I've considered a Peavey JSX combo(for a 3 channel amp) but they are more than 20lbs heavier and don't really sell for too cheap used.

·
I think too much
1,881 Posts
Done with Charlie? :(

I haven't had any experience with these, but I'm curious about them too.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Interesting... i didn't know it could be run as an open- or closed-back. With a Tube Screamer or Jemini in front of it, you might get the versatility you need without a third channel.

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Done with Charlie? :(
Not entirely. We have one more booked show but after that we don't plan on playing much more as a whole band. Kind of weird and a bit of a long story. I'll still be recording with Charlie and I don't really need a head and two 4x12 cabs to do that. :D

I found a Legacy combo locally for cheap that I may check out if somebody buys my amp and cabs. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting... i didn't know it could be run as an open- or closed-back. With a Tube Screamer or Jemini in front of it, you might get the versatility you need without a third channel.
Yeah. It has a removable back. That's one of the major selling points for me on this amp. Sometimes I dig the open back-ness and sometimes I like it closed. Ideally, If I were to start playing out again, I'd get the matching Legacy extension cab and run the amp open and the cab closed(you can do the same with the ext. cab).

Also, intersting that you brought up the Jemini. I think that is next on my "toys to buy" list.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I saw one of those Jeminis at the local music store... it made an impossible-to-tune guitar with old strings sound pretty fucking kickass (low-gain and metal crunch/snarl) through a Peavey Classic 30. I might have to pick one up...

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
haha. Thanks. :wub:
I saw one of those Jeminis at the local music store... it made an impossible-to-tune guitar with old strings sound pretty fucking kickass (low-gain and metal crunch/snarl) through a Peavey Classic 30. I might have to pick one up...
Very cool! I'll have to see if GC has any and check one out. :yesway:
Interesting... i didn't know it could be run as an open- or closed-back.
Found these pics of the back. Pretty nifty.

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Weird. I didn't notice that. Velcro? Magic? :shrug:
I should be checking one out on Friday so I'll have to find out.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
[action=darren]zooms and squints[/action]

:squint:

Ah, yes... i see them now.

BTW, picked up a second Thiele cab today. Pics of the mini-stack on Sunday!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts