Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've googled around and tried to figure some shit out, but I figured I'd ask here and ss.org, because between all of us, we actually have some useful information.

Anyway, I just bought a Carvin TS100 poweramp that I'm going to put my PODXT Live into. It came stock with Groove Tube 6L6s and Groove Tube 12AX7s. So,

1. Why the fuck does this thing have 12AX7s (aside from the two phase inverters, there are two other 12AX7s)?

2. I'm interested in swapping out the 6L6s for 6550s, anybody have any experience with them? (It says on the back it can take EL34/6L6/6550, it even has a switch to choose between EL34 and 6L6/6550)

3. I know I need to bias it when I do this, what's a good setting for 6550s?

This thing sounds amazing as is, but I'm not a huge fan of Groove Tubes and I have some Sovtek 6550s at my store, and I figured I'd give them a shot.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm 99% sure it says EL34 or 6L6 / 5881, not 6550. There isn't room enough in that chassis for 6550s to stand up vertically.
Yeah, my bad, I realized that yesterday. But it can take 6550s. They go in horizontally, like Donnie said.

There is room, and I'm just really intrigued by them because they're supposedly like KT88s and people talk very highly of them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
ah... for some reason I was thinking that was one of the vertical-tube power amps.

Yes, 6550s have a great sound... punchy kind of like EL34s, but with some low grit like 6L6s, and more 'bouncy' response than either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.