Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, is it worth shielding your cavity? Been considering doing it to my RG, I play with high gain and was thinking maybe it will help get rid of a little of the hiss associated.

·
sawdust aficionado
1,343 Posts
Short answer, yes.

Longer answer, "hiss" could be more of a signal chain issue, whereas, "hum" is a grounding issue for which shielding would help.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
If you're in the garage, and it doesn't bother you, nah.

If you're EVER going to play on stage with it, YES.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
What Rob said. Your RG is probably already shielded with graphite paint in the cavity. Unless you're having issues with 60-cycle hum, more shielding probably won't reduce noise in your signal chain. Try turning down your gain and using a noise gate.

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What Rob said. Your RG is probably already shielded with graphite paint in the cavity. Unless you're having issues with 60-cycle hum, more shielding probably won't reduce noise in your signal chain. Try turning down your gain and using a noise gate.
I was also considering this, a Decimator then?

·
Spoooon!!
109 Posts
I just picked up a pegasus/sentinent set, and I was thinking of putting some shielding in there just because.

Would this be an appropriate material to use?

·
sawdust aficionado
1,343 Posts
I just picked up a pegasus/sentinent set, and I was thinking of putting some shielding in there just because.

Would this be an appropriate material to use?
Close, but, no. You need copper foil tape with conductive adhesive. I use this. Of course, you could always solder the non-conductive tape together if that's all you have available.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts