Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, I had to hock my stick a few months back to afford my move and all that jazz. It was depressing as shit. Now I've gotten a good job here for the time being, and had a sweet-ass tax return.

In light of that, I've been looking for a new stick. I saw one on Craigslist for 800$. Considering one rather similar to the one i got just sold on ebay for about 2000$, and another for around 1800$, I'd say I got a pretty good deal :lol:

It's a good bit older than my last stick (that was a 2001 model) -- it appears to be in the mid 90s... 93-95ish.

I'm also trying a new stick tuning on it. Bass side goes from low to high EADGC (Like a 5 string bass with a high C string). The Treble side goes EADGC, one octave higher (Similar to the bottom 4 strings of a guitar with a high C string..) And, of course, the bass strings ascend in pitch from the middle, like a regular stick.

Pics:

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Nice! :yesway:

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since I didn't feel like ordering stick specific strings, I got a pack of bass strings and a pack of guitar strings. What you can see in that pic is that the lowest guitar-pitched string only got to the tuning peg with about 1" to spare. :lol:

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
Awesome! And nice deal! I'd love to try one of these, but they're so expensive. Maybe I'll luck out on Craigslist eventually, too.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Nice! I wouldn't know how to play the thing :lol:

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you're looking for something similar, Krappy Guitars makes them. He doesn't do the usual "Find whatever wood I can and throw it together and give it to you" that he does with his punk rods and bass rods. He actually puts a really decent amount of effort into them. I've never played one, but I've followed his progress building them by pics he posts, and he's getting a lot better at them. One of the dudes from SS.org has one of his tapping guitars. I think you can get them new for around 5-700$ depending on options.
There's also Box Guitars, made by stu box:
Stu Box
they start at around 900AUS.

There's a few knockoffs of sticks I've seen that are pretty cheap, too, made by Maxetone and the like. Just avoid Megatars.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's the insides of the electronics compartment if you guys are interested.

This is the passive model, btw.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What I'm trying to figure out: I want to put a 2 way switch in there that will allow me to switch between mono and stereo (So if i'm say, playing through a bass amp with one input, I can get both sides of the stick on it, but switch to stereo when im jamming through my TonePort or practice amp which has two inputs).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts