Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

If you ever get the chance to see this guy live, do so! I saw him a few years ago in Bath, and it was just glorious...

My old teacher actually tried the ping-pong ball idea. The one on his thumbnail ended up breaking on him and he ended up with a bit of plastic stuck to his thumb for a few weeks...:lol:

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
He is so humble about it too. He seems like a down to earth guy with amazing chops and great theory knowledge.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Someone should post some tabbage for some stuff like this. :wub:
Not really celtic, but the beginning (or the whole song for the acoustic version) of the Swords "To take the black" has a pretty awesome celtic feel. Too bad the song could have been much cooler if they actually used lyrics that were inspired beyond the prologue of A Game of Thrones.

The witcher soundtrack is also the bomb for pentatonic/celtic kind of music.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Very cool. Anyone have anything similar regarding Celtic-style rhythm playing? There's a unique style of rhythm guitar in a lot of Celtic music that I can't really get the hang of.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Very cool. Anyone have anything similar regarding Celtic-style rhythm playing? There's a unique style of rhythm guitar in a lot of Celtic music that I can't really get the hang of.
Same here, no matter how much Amorphis I listen to. :lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Same here, no matter how much Amorphis I listen to. :lol:
Brief Amorphis derail: I was given three tracks a long time ago and never got any other material. I love them.

Weeper On the Shore, To Father's Cabin, Drowned Maid

What album or songs should I check out next so that my opinion of Amorphis isn't ruined? I was told they have had a long and constantly changing discography.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Brief Amorphis derail: I was given three tracks a long time ago and never got any other material. I love them.

What album or songs should I check out next so that my opinion of Amorphis isn't ruined? I was told they have had a long and constantly changing discography.
They've had a new singer for their last 3 albums, and they're all awesome. I don't really like their older stuff much though.

So to answer your question: Eclipse, Silent Waters, and Skyforger

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts

Immediately go buy Elegy, and The Karelian Isthmus if you like the older sound, I'll assume you already have Tales From The Thousand Lakes, and because you mentioned "Weeper..." I guess you have Elegy?

Then there is the Tuonela, and Am Universum that you must hear. Those albums lack the death vocals though.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Someone should post some tabbage for some stuff like this. :wub:
:agreed: Weird thing is I spent 30 minutes last night looking for any kind of notation for music like this and couldn't find shit. Then this thread shows up. Makes me uncomfortable...people reading my thoughts.:scratch:

And these videos would benefit from the Logarhythm.

Stateless said:
So to answer your question: Eclipse, Silent Waters, and Skyforger
Immediately go buy Elegy
I just got eclipse and elegy and am an instant fan.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One problem wih look for tabs in this style is that most of the guys who play it don't use notation or tablature at all; in traditional music most of the tunes are passed on by word of mouth, and only get written down much later.

Of course, I've got a nice book of Celtic melodies, so I could always begin working on some arrangements, as I could use a good project...;)

Oh, and Elegy and Skyforger...:wub:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts