Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious to hear everybody's opinions on this. I played quite a few of each variety over easter break and I honestly felt like the MIJs were a bit better in every instance. Although I've heard quite a few people say that the new MIJs flat out suck. Of course these are internet opinions, and we all know how much importance some people place on country of manufacture. :lol:

Anyways, if you've played them, post up your opinions.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and the main differences I found were I thought the MIJs had better fretwork and the fretboard edges were also better rolled IMO (on the examples I played). Also of the MIJs I played I thought the wood was more lively on each (though I'm hesitant to judge this in a shop cause of grimy strings/setup/etc).

·
Turd Furguson
1,847 Posts
I haven't gotten to play a new MIJ, but a lot of reliable sources have found exactly what you have found. anybody that says they flat put suck has a mental problem.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agreed. The main thing is you can get the older USA models in more finishes. :lol:

The fretwork is much better on the MIJ guitars, and everything else is identical to the USA ones. :lol:
:lol: This is one case where I'm looking for a gloss black guitar though. Some of the USA colors are/were pretty awesome though.

Also, does anyone know where I can acquire a 1hum/1vol pickguard of the same material/quality as the Charvel ones? I really like the 1 hum flat black wild card ones, but I like the pickguard aesthetic and strat jack placement a little more.

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
:lol: This is one case where I'm looking for a gloss black guitar though. Some of the USA colors are/were pretty awesome though.

Also, does anyone know where I can acquire a 1hum/1vol pickguard of the same material/quality as the Charvel ones? I really like the 1 hum flat black wild card ones, but I like the pickguard aesthetic and strat jack placement a little more.
Standard Strat pickguards fit the Charvels, just the neck pocket is wider, so you have to open that part up on the pickguard a little. I just mounted the 'guard and took a dremel to the thing around the pocket with the neck off.

So anyone that sells strat pickguards should work. I prefer Warmoth because you can get just what you want without having to explain to someone. :lol:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Standard Strat pickguards fit the Charvels, just the neck pocket is wider, so you have to open that part up on the pickguard a little. I just mounted the 'guard and took a dremel to the thing around the pocket with the neck off.

So anyone that sells strat pickguards should work. I prefer Warmoth because you can get just what you want without having to explain to someone. :lol:
Warmoth sells andonized metal ones? Cause I don't want plastic.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts

FWIW, i got my pickguard (which fits my mexican strat fine too) from allparts, and the neck pocket didnt need widening, but one screw (I forget which side, either bass or treble) at the waist was off by 1/4" (which fits the mexican perfect again). I did however have to cut it to fit the floyd and a bridge bucker, since it was an SSS guard.

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
Should've probably put American Standard Strat. :lol: The Warmoth guard had every screw line up, but the pocket was 2 3/16" and the Charvel is 2 1/4". :lol:

I ordered it with the pickups, 5-way, and bridge cut, then drilled the holes for the pot(s) myself.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Ah. Good to know!

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center in Wheaton MD had one of the black USA SoCals the last time I checked. It's a good one, too. They've had it for awhile and might be willing to give you a good deal on it, and I'm sure they'll ship.

Here's where you go for the pickguard: Pickguard Heaven: Pickguards for Every Guitar

1 - 16 of 16 Posts