Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

I've just committed to a new project and took all my "heavy rig", amp and cab, to our rehearsal space.

So, I'm looking to buy something small and portable, to keep me busy, lay down some ideas and keep fiddling with the guitar, while at home, sitting on the couch, watching TV, whatever...

I want something small and portable, not extremely loud, but with quality and still capable of pulling some nice distorted tones in the stoner/doom/sludge territory, so I can later take those ideas to the "proper setup" and try them out in a band setting.

I don't want to spend more that $100. Used or new, but no more than $80-100.

Let me know what you think is the right choice, for me!

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Daniel

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Blackstar Core's. 10, 20 or 40 depending on how loud/$$ you want.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
To me the stoner sound is a lot of 412 cabs pushing high volume vintage tones. An 8" speaker won't reproduce that no matter how well it's made.

You have to take a practice amp for what it is - practice. Don't expect great tones out of it, just make sure it's useable. IMO all you need is something that tells you if a riff works. Once you know that, you can try it out with the good gear and see how things pan out.

I use a 15W marshall MG series amp at home, when I do plug in. It sounds fine because all I need it to do is be clean or driven.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Yes, that could be it! Thanks a lot. The 10 watt version... Looks awesome. I really like the fact that it is capable of acting like an audio interface and has recording capability. Does it run on batteries?
I don't think so.

The Fly 3 can run off batteries. Never used one so I can't speak to the sound quality, but I'm sure it's better than a Crate or whatever other random practice amp...

Blackstar Fly 3

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys! Thanks for your input and replies... Here are some more options: Line 6 Spider 15W, Peavey Vypyr 15W, Roland Cube 15X (METAL!!! LOL) and Orange Crush 12... Anyone has any experience with those? Anything else out there? I rather have a very compact "5 Watt" that sounded great...

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I haven't tried that tiny Blackstar, but I used to have an HT-5, and it was awesome. The Roland Cube's are pretty highly rated as solid practice amps, I'd go with one of those.

Or, better, yet, if you have an iPad, go get BIAS :yesway:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Not a ton of really good sub-$100 options out there, especially if you want tube (which I'm assuming you do based on those wattage values). I'd say keep an eye on what's on Craig's List around you and buy the best sounding thing that comes up, but if you get any chance to snag one used, the Tech 21 Trademark 30 is my usual recommendation for a small amp that still does high gain pretty well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.