Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Dont you love balls?
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get an acoustic pickup (one that mounts in the soundhole) and was hoping some of you have had some experience with them.

I'm currently using a really crappy acoustic electric, but I have a nice Guild that I love to play. So the sound quality doesn't have to be amazing. I just want to be able to play it live instead of this other crappy black Takamine.

I was looking at these two:

Buy Seymour Duncan Woody HC Hum-Canceling Soundhole Pickup | Acoustic Guitar Pickups & Preamps | Musician's Friend

Buy Fishman Pro-Neo-D01 Magnetic Soundhole Pickup | Acoustic Guitar Pickups & Preamps | Musician's Friend

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I'm sure those are both fine, I read reasonably good reviews for both of them when I was hunting for mine. I ended up splurging on the L.R. Baggs M1A active humbucker and it is awesome, but also like $170 + installation.

·
Dont you love balls?
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Soop. I also read positive reviews for both of them. I was just checking to see if anyone had any experience with either.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I've owned a ton of those type of things and they always sound pretty shit-tastic to me. If you aren't too concerned with sound quality, you're good to go. But those, and honestly even the onboard preamp in my Martin, just don't sound very good.

·
18,790 Posts
The Seymour Duncan Mag-Mic I have in my 12-string is the first soundhole pickup I've ever really liked the sound of, and that's mainly because of the mic :lol: Any other acoustic pickup (magnetic or piezo) only sounds ok at best (unless you're running something like the Fishman Aura, which I will be posting a video review of once my piezo-ed Tel-moth is complete ;) ).

·
Dont you love balls?
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, Chris. I'm not going really for amazing sound quality. Just something that won't crap out on me.

Right now I'm playing a Jasmine by Takamine acoustic electric that already sounds and plays like crap. I have a really nice Guild that I'd love to be able to play, but has no pickup. So I just need something that serves the basic function of sending the signal to the PA without crapping out.

My friends got one with flowers, from a Walmart guitar that look neat. Maybe that one, Soop :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts