Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Now broadband is going to have to keep up with that, so that we can download a full disc in a reasonable amount of time! :agreed:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
A thousand times the storage for a fraction of the price? Technology rocks! :leon:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Very cool idea, and I love the materials science behind it. If they can develop it quickly, I can see some applications for it, but I expect solid state memory to mop the floor with any form of rotating memory in the near future. There are very big developments in solid state memory on the horizon, such as Phase-Change Memory. :metal:

Can you imagine a disc with like 100 Blu-Ray titles on it, though?

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's a huge consumer barrier to overcome with buying your movie on an SD card, though, whereas this technology looks like what people are used to buying, it just ups the capacity. I'd predict there's a lot of money to be made with this media if it's really as easy/cheap to produce as they seem to think it is.

·
18,790 Posts
There's a huge consumer barrier to overcome with buying your movie on an SD card, though, whereas this technology looks like what people are used to buying, it just ups the capacity. I'd predict there's a lot of money to be made with this media if it's really as easy/cheap to produce as they seem to think it is.
True enough, not to mention if you cut all the moving parts out of home electronics, what's left to fail? And if no parts fail, how do you get the consumers to buy a new one?

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
But not too new and different, or else they will be scared and not buy it. You have to advance technology in small, illogical steps.
Aaron is wise :agreed:

I'm pretty sure Sony could make you a player next year that would play Blu-Rays straight off an SDHC card (no, wait... they're assholes and don't use anything except Memory Sticks, right? OK, let's say genuine Panafonix! :D). But the point is, they won't :) I bet we won't see solid state movie distribution for a decade or better. But everything's trending that way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts