Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crap I just changed my battery and now my check engine light is on - I dont have a scanner/tool to reset it (Or see if it is a legit error code)

I thought i might not have had my gas cap on tight enough since i just got gas but nope....

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Was it a different type of battery? My old car had a fit when you changed the battery. Infact, my mates BMW wouldn't even start when he changed his :scratch:

·
I think too much
1,881 Posts
If you have a Schuck's auto parts store nearby they have a scanner you can use for free (or at least they do where I live). If not, maybe you have a different chain store that has one?

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
If you have a Schuck's auto parts store nearby they have a scanner you can use for free. If not, maybe you have a different chain store that has one?
All of the major chains do that now I believe - AutoZone does for sure. However, you need to be very careful with what they tell you, since codes are shared among different manufacturers and can mean entirely different things. If what they tell you makes no sense, swing it in to someone you trust to scan it. Most places won't dick you for a scanning fee if it's just something stupid that's wrong, but you never know.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My car is a 02 honda civic SI with like 120 k on it .

It is probably the o2 sensor if i had to guess - One of my buddys is the manager of the local advanced I will get him to check it for error codes.

·
Habitual Line Stepper
490 Posts
My check engine light just came on the other day on my 02 Civic si as well but it was because my fiancee may or may not have left the gas cap at the station. It took a few days of driving for it to turn off after returning the gas cap to its rightful hole.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
My check engine light just came on the other day on my 02 Civic si as well but it was because my fiancee may or may not have left the gas cap at the station. It took a few days of driving for it to turn off after returning the gas cap to its rightful hole.
Ah yes, this reminds me - as long as the light isn't flashing, you're ok to continue driving. Typically if it was just a sensor that got pissed off, 3 engine starts (with some miles driven) should be enough to clear it. However, the code might persist, in which case let your buddy check it out.

Or you can always ← ← ↓ → B.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah yes, this reminds me - as long as the light isn't flashing, you're ok to continue driving. Typically if it was just a sensor that got pissed off, 3 engine starts (with some miles driven) should be enough to clear it. However, the code might persist, in which case let your buddy check it out.

Or you can always ← ← ↓ → B.
:rofl:

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Stupid Motorola Backflip: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; MB300 Build/Blur_Version.0.13.37.MB300.ATT.en.US Flex/P014) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

I don't know if you know this, but some cars with digital meters in the dash will flash the code for you if you do something specific. For example, in my brother's truck you quickly flip the key in the ignition to start 3 times. It will then display a code. Look the code up on the internet and there's your problem.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
That only works if it isn't going to throw an error code (it will light back up again if you have a bad sensor)
Yes, but if you can't get in to see your friend with his scanner, you will be able to troubleshoot the problem and see whether it is indeed a bad sensor or a fluke. :yesway:

·
Rule #2: Double Tap
140 Posts
If you needed to change your battery, maybe it was because you have a dying alternator. The engine light could be pointing towards that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts