Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Some angles are uglier than others :lol:

Very bass-like, but that makes sense. Not my thing, but kudos for him for doing a great job,

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
It looks like a job well done!

1. It looks like a Chellee body (no harm no foul?)
2. Wouldn't that make the guitar more neck heavy, when you're using less material for the body...?

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
It looks like a job well done!

1. It looks like a Chellee body (no harm no foul?)
2. Wouldn't that make the guitar more neck heavy, when you're using less material for the body...?
No, because the upper horn is so much longer, so much further up the fretboard. You can lower the overall weight of the guitar and also shift the balance by changing the upper horn...

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
That thing looks pretty sweet I kinda like the curves and stuff

but isnt this the guy who has a 30" 27 fret guitar? no wonder he has neck dive issues :lol:

·
Registered
214 Posts
I love that. I think most of these extended length scale guitars should adopt that bass idea of moving the body up, so the bridge is nearer to the butt. Doing that also keeps the overall length of the instrument from getting ridiculous.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
One thing that's bugged me about how Rondo has done the longer scale lengths is that they haven't moved the bridge any further back... they've just pushed the nut further and further out.

The Intrepid was pretty heavy... but that guy added a block of "led" (sic) that pushed it up OVER 10 kg? That's over 22 lbs! Somehow, i don't think his scale is right. Or he added 10 lbs of lead. The oversized bass body helped to keep things somewhat in balance, but even on my 28.625" scale Intrepids, they were a touch neck-heavy.

So in theory, what this guy did was the right thing to do in order to improve the overall balance of the instrument. However, i'm not a big fan of the body shape he's designed.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
No, because the upper horn is so much longer, so much further up the fretboard. You can lower the overall weight of the guitar and also shift the balance by changing the upper horn...
That would explain the basses :lol: cheers Adam :)

·
18,790 Posts
Can't view it, anyone mind pasting the pics here?
Hi guys!

So i have this guitar :

since this february.. It is awesome but has one issue - it is neck heavy as hell.
The first thing I did for this issue was to install a piece of led in the electronics compartment to counterbalance the neck :

And it works pretty fine except for the fact that the guitar now weights a ton (10.5 kilos to be exact) after adding this 1.3kg piece of led. But really it is fine as the whole weight is just properly distributed and doesn't tire you at all in contrast to the neck heavy situation which really caused a lot of pain in my left hand almost disabling me to play the thing standing for more than 5 minutes. So ok I fixed the problem but then I continued thinking in the direction..
It seem like the neck of the thing is way out of the body - the upper horn is extending to the 15th fret compared to a regular scale it should be around the 12th fret and that basically puts my left hand in a bit odd position when playing on the first couple of frets and also justifies the neck heaviness prior the led mod.
Well you'd probably say that it is expected with a 30" scale instrument and I agree but I couldn't help myself stop thinking about a solution for this or at least a try. Reading this section of the forum didn't help either as it made me very keen on building a guitar myself :) so I decided to experiment with a different body shape that will push the neck further into the body making my left hand come closer to me but pushing my right hand a bit away but to a point of some equilibrium so that both hands' positions will suffer half the severity of the extended scale. Thats what I came to :

Then I thought why not build it from a different wood to explore some more about the wood tonality although I love the sound of the ash. I decided to go for a maple body and I am still not sure what will be the impact of that choice..

So lets see the building process :

1. Cutting the thing with a jigsaw :

2. Making the surfaces flat with routing machine for metal work (thats what I have) :

3. after some hand work on the edges it was time to route for the neck pocket, the pickups and the electronics compartment :

4. Then again a lot of hand sanding to make every surface perfect :

It was time to put the clear coat finish. Then sanding with 500 grid and then another coat and here we are :

this is today's status :hbang: and I hope I can finish it this week. I need some advice on what to use for the final sanding polishing to make it as perfect as possible (as the coat was applied with a brush there are inevitable uneven bumps that i need to sand off)

·
Registered
617 Posts
I like it, I find the intrepid I have fairly heavy on it's own, it would be more comfortable with the bridge moved back like that to make a more balanced instrument. It looks like he did a nice job making the body too. Nothing too fancy but enough to look good.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts