Metal Guitarist Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
1 person has died because of the meltdown there. About 16000 people died due to the earthquake and subsequent tsunami that caused the Fukushima power plant to fail. I think the focus would be badly misplaced if they made a show about Fukushima.
I was about to post the exact same thing. It'd feel like a serious waste of potential to do a film about the reactor when the earthquake and tsunami that caused it was unbelievably more destructive. If you just focused on the reactor, it would be a lot less scary and a lot less terrifying. I mean, I was in Tokyo during the earthquake (on the 11th floor of an office building in the skyscraper district of Shinjuku), which was 400 kilometers southwest of the epicenter of the earthquake and I still have minor PTSD to this day, so just imagine the people whose houses collapsed in rubble or whose family and friends were swept out to sea to never be seen again. Compared to that, the people evacuated to other parts of Japan such as Sendai (the evacuation and displacement of people from their homes is arguably the worst part of the Fukushima disaster), the regular workers who helped clean up the plant who are still expected to live out their entire lives, or the people in Tokyo such as myself who had to go through planned blackouts and brownouts and had no access to products like milk (though that has nothing to do with the reactor and more to do with the highways being destroyed by the earthquake) would be pretty dull and underwhelming in comparison to the massive devastation of the earthquake and tsunami itself.

Plus, with Chernobyl, the 2,600 square kilometer exclusion zone is still in effect 34 years after the incident. With Fukushima, only 8 years after the incident, there is almost no exclusion zone at all. The radiation levels in the city of Fukushima were measured in 2019 at levels lower than those in Seoul, South Korea. But even though, unlike Chernobyl, people are allowed to move back into their homes in the exclusion zone, virtually no one has. A city that used to have a population of 21,000 people now only has 2,000 because people just didn't want to risk it (and I can't blame them). Out of interest, I looked on Google Maps, and a convenience store a couple minute walk from the Daiichi plant is open right now and closes at 7pm (which it normally is open 24 hours in most parts of the country). So even though Chernobyl and Fukushima are the only 2 disasters to be rated a 7 (the maximum rating) on the International Nuclear Event Scale, they really aren't remotely comparable.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
A bit OT here but also watch The Terror. Its the same main actor from Chernobyl (and some other amazing actors from ROME). Acting and Art Direction is brilliant as well. In fact let the Brits do all TV Shows since they really excel at it :)
Ciaran Hinds = I am in. :yesway:

Dude was absolutely perfect for Caesar.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
1 person has died because of the meltdown there. About 16000 people died due to the earthquake and subsequent tsunami that caused the Fukushima power plant to fail. I think the focus would be badly misplaced if they made a show about Fukushima.
I was actually joking but I know there were the aftermaths of having a city evacuated because a Nuclear Reactor that they cant control and all the radioactive water that is being spilled into the Ocean. Still by curiosity I went to investigate and:

"The report assesses the causes and consequences of the 11 March 2011 accident at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant in Japan, which was triggered by a tsunami that followed a massive earthquake.

The earthquake and tsunami caused great loss of life and considerable damage to buildings and infrastructure. More than 15 000 people were killed, over 6000 were injured, and at the time of this report around 2500 people are still reported to be missing. It was the worst emergency at a nuclear power plant since the Chernobyl disaster in 1986."

It was not that "Trivial" when everything is combined and that Reactor is still there with tons of contaminated water to cool it down and its still leaking.

https://www.greenfacts.org/en/fukushima-consequences/index.htm

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Well, like it says there, all those people died because of the earthquake and tsunami, not because of the power plant. That text seems intentionally misleading, trying to couple the nuclear disaster with the loss of life - which had nothing to do with each other.:scratch:

The Fukushima disaster happened because of some terrible risk management. Firstly, I don't know if it's a good idea to put a nuclear power plant on a earthquake fault system, in addition the site was badly designed, and even then it could have been mitigated with timely action during the event.

Although if we're looking at the dangers of producing electricity, someone should make a disaster movie about coal power - it releases more radioactivity into the environment than nuclear power and has killed WAY more people than nuclear power.

"Compared with nuclear power, coal is responsible for five times as many worker deaths from accidents, 470 times as many deaths due to air pollution among members of the public, and more than 1,000 times as many cases of serious illness, according to a study of the health effects of electricity generation in Europe."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/gdpr...-to-2007-study/2011/03/22/AFQUbyQC_story.html

It's just not dramatic and scary like nuclear power.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
"The earthquake and tsunami caused great loss of life and considerable damage to buildings and infrastructure. More than 15 000 people were killed, over 6000 were injured, and at the time of this report around 2500 people are still reported to be missing. It was the worst emergency at a nuclear power plant since the Chernobyl disaster in 1986."
Talk about misleading. I mean, how do you get 2,500 people missing from a nuclear power plant disaster? You don't. Those are people who were swept out to sea as a result of the tsunami. In all likelihood, their bodies are at the bottom of the ocean (there were terrifying videos of tons of cars being swept out to sea by that tsunami, and in many places entire houses being swept out into the ocean). Granted, if you read that, it DOES say that the earthquake and tsunami caused it, but they put those sentences together to make it seem like the nuclear power plant was responsible.

Only 1 death has been directly connected to the nuclear power plant's disaster and that was a worker at the plant who eventually died from cancer caused by the radiation.

That's not to say that TEPCO didn't do anything wrong (they certainly did, they had reports since 2000 saying that a 13-15 meter high tsunami was a possibility, but they ignored it, saying that it was too unlikely) or that the 154,000 people evacuated wasn't a big deal. But it's both the point that the Fukushima disaster paled in comparison to Chernobyl and that the Fukushima nuclear power plant disaster was only a part of the much bigger disaster that was the 2011 Tohoku earthquake and tsunami, which caused far more devastation.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
We finished ep4 and started a re-watch before we see the finale. Absolutely brilliant, right up there with the best TV I’ve ever seen.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Absolutely, a great mini-docu-series. I watched it 3 times so far. The part with the miners' representative talked to the doctor and KGB, and he said "If these (masks) worked, you'd be wearing them." was fantastic.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts