Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
sawdust aficionado
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the midst of moving some cherry boards around the shop, a smaller one fell to the floor, and as it bounced, I heard a ringing tone. So, I picked it up, tapped it a couple of times, and sure enough, it resonated! I grabbed a mahogany board, tapped that as well, and found the tones to be rather close. I didn't find any information on using cherry for an electric guitar, so, I figured it was a worthwhile experiment. And so it begins with a single cherry board…

…planed, jointed, glued and clamped to make the body blank…

…body blank ready for shaping…

…planed, jointed, glued and clamped to make the neck blank…

…cut truss rod channel, install truss rod, glue and clamp fingerboard…

…cut body to shape…

…drill tuner holes and cut neck to width…

…radius fingerboard, cut fret slots…

…frets installed, leveled and crowned…

…cut neck to thickness…

…maybe a little too thin at the heel…

…route the neck pocket…

…clamp the neck to a sawhorse and rough-shape the profile…

(missing pictures of neck rough shaping and contouring of body)

…glue and clamp the neck to the body…

…route pickup cavities, drill holes for strings, volume and switch…

…route control cavity…

…route shelf for control cavity cover…

…tape over cavity…

…cut away tape to make template for cover…

…stick tape template to cover material…

…cut out cover, sand to fit…

…stain body…

…using Stew Mac brush-on varnish, apply two coats (50% water, 50% varnish) as a sanding sealer, then six finish coats (3 coats a day, 3 hours apart, scuff sanding using 300 grit at the start of each day)…

…apply two final coats, wait nine days, wet sand with 800 grit, buff with course, medium and fine compound, install hardware, play, take pictures, post to metalguitarist.org…

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out considering this is the first time I have done a clear coat. The neck has three coats of tung oil and is the most comfortable I have made so far.

How does it sound? Well, from my little bit of playing, I like it! It has a little more mid-range than mahogany. I don't know why cherry isn't used more often for electric guitars.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
That's pretty sweet. Nice work!

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
That looks very nice. I've heard of a few guitars being made from cherry, but I've never played one.

What pickups did you go for?

·
sawdust aficionado
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your kind words!

Oops! I hadn't checked over at project guitar. I'll have to wander over there and take a look. Never the less, it was still a good learning experience.

DonBot, was your Conklin a bass? I vaguely remember someone mentioning a Conklin, and I thought it was a bass.

Regarding pickups, the bridge is a Duncan JB-7, and the neck is a "Duncan Designed" I got off the-bay quite a while back. I basically pulled all the hardware from a previous build (r.i.p. Mac) and put it on this one.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
That's cool, man. :D

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
How's cutting the neck+headstock out of one slab, rather than using a scarf joint working for you?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Nah, mine was a 7 string guitar. I had a black one too and i believe it was cherry also.
It is, as far as I can tell. I have a Air Norton and a D-Sonic in it now, and it sounds pretty nice. I'm considering sanding the paint down and looking at the wood when my Sherman gets here... probably not a pretty picture though.

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
:yesway:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts