Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

This is my first post on the forum!
I have asked the same question on sevenstring.org forum although it applies to both places and I hope to get more opinions if you dont mind.

I have recently found myself playing more metal and I would like to get a guitar for lower tunings or perhaps a 7 string.

At the moment I am using my PRS cu24 in a variety of tunings, mainly drop C, drop B and drop A (ala 'the safety fire' : standard tuning with the low E string tuned to A), but I dont like constantly changing strings and tunings on that guitar and I would like to get something else dedicated to this.

I am really enjoying the different intervals between strings that these tunings create, so initially I was thinking of getting another 6 string (I had my eyes on an Ibanez RGR08) but now I am contemplating getting a 7 string also for the extended range and versatility.

I know it is a bit of "apples and oranges" kinda question but since I have never owned a 7-string I am looking for some guidance as to why I should or shouldn't consider one given what I am trying to achieve...

Any help/suggestions are appreciated
Cheers
Ed.
PS: getting both a 7 and 6 string is out of the question right now...

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Get a seven string for sure. I never got one until a few months ago and I love it. I use it for all my low tunings. I have lighter gauge strings so I can tune the bottom 6 strings upward to C, drop B, or C#. My highest string never gets used unless I'm doing B-E-A-D-G-B-E. Once tuned to B standard, you can also just skip the bottom string and play like it's a 6 string in standard. Overall more tuning possibilities. So basically, you can use a 7 string like a 6 string, but still have the option of using all 7.

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
Try a 7 string out, if it doesn't feel right to you then try a baritone.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If you want to use 6-string drop tunings then don't get a 7. You can tune a 7 to be live a drop-tuned 6, but it's not the same.

Why not get a fixed bridge PRS? That's what SikTh used, and that's where the Satefy fire get the AADGBE tuning from.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you want to use 6-string drop tunings then don't get a 7. You can tune a 7 to be live a drop-tuned 6, but it's not the same.

Why not get a fixed bridge PRS? That's what SikTh used, and that's where the Satefy fire get the AADGBE tuning from.
This is the exact thought that I had that made me contemplate whether a 7 was right for me...

Although I also thought this:

Try a 7 string out, if it doesn't feel right to you then try a baritone.
And just yesterday I found a really good deal on an Ibanez RGA7 with EMGs on eBay and I went for it.

I have tried 7s before, but I have been curious to own it for a while and seeing how I adapted to it...

I ll post pics and a clip once I get it.

Thanks for all the suggestions
Ed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts