Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i've got a boss ce-5 that i run into my mark III. i'm tryign to figure out the best place to run it. i'm not really looking for big chorus effects, but more subtle, smooth tones for some lead stuff (kinda similar to rob flynn's lead stuff).

so should i be running it in the loop, or in front? any setting suggestions for a starting point?

thanks!
B.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Almost without exception you want time-based effects like chorus in the loop. The one exception I could think of would be anything where you want it to change the way the amp distorts - say, Jimi and his Univibe at woodstock, where the thing was pushing his amp in and out of distortion (of course, this was before FX loops were even really standard on amps, so it's tough to say if that was taste or necessity back then).

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
I used to always run reverb last in the chain, so with a normal clean or lead sound it'd be guitar - preamp - chorus - delay - reverb - power amp.

Recently though, I've found a different vibe entirely putting the chorus at the end of the signal chain after the reverb right before the power amp. Instead of giving an 80s esque chorusing to the sound, now it adds more of a finalizing shimmer to my clean sounds, if that makes any sense. I'd say experiment putting it before your delay/reverbs (if you run any) and after and see what works for you. There's a lot of awesome combinations, just don't put it pre-gain unless you want some seriously noisy effects.

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
I used to always run reverb last in the chain, so with a normal clean or lead sound it'd be guitar - preamp - chorus - delay - reverb - power amp.
I agree with this.

With the caveat that what Vince said in follow-up is interesting. So, yep. Experiment. Just remember Drew's and Vince's recommendations are spot-on and the standard approach (the approach I use as well.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.