Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
That thing looks fun. I don't know if I would use it for anything else but fun, but that is fun enough. Wait, I just confused myself.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I wonder if that's a more durable whammy assembly than the ones in the old Guitar Hero controllers. Those were cheap, fragile plastic mechanisms.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That thing looks fun. I don't know if I would use it for anything else but fun, but that is fun enough. Wait, I just confused myself.
Well the idea's not to necessarily use it for live stuff, but for recording with soft synths and such. At least, that's my viewpoint.

Imagine being able to plug in a USB cable and play tons of different instrument tones you couldn't otherwise play.

Done carefully (i.e. not over the top) it can add a lot of texture and mood to a song.

Then again I'm a prog nut with my favorite bands being Porcupine Tree, Karnivool, and Spock's Beard, so that explains me!

I wonder if that's a more durable whammy assembly than the ones in the old Guitar Hero controllers. Those were cheap, fragile plastic mechanisms.
Given the cost of the unit as well as who's making them, I'd venture to guess that yes, it's a lot more durable. But we'll find out. I'm pre-ordering one as soon as they'll take my money!

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^yeah that sounds really cool that way!
Yeah with the number of cheap and/or free samplers/synth apps available for Windows and OS X, as well as OS X coming with GarageBand packed with stuff, this idea of a guitar-shaped MIDI controller that's affordable is very timely and beneficial.

Cool Jeff

Ill be looking forward to your review on this.
:yesway:

EDIT

For those that may have missed it before, here's the Rock Controller in action:

I wish he would have done more lead stuff (he's a pretty good player) but he did more comping in this one.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
$400 is quite reasonable if it works well. That's less than half of what the least expensive Z-Tar costs. Like you, I don't really need all of the crazy stuff that the Z-Tars will do, just basic MIDI data entry. I'd mostly use it for synth leads, as I prefer to play keyboard for most other things.

I've also been thinking about getting one of those Yamaha MIDI wind controllers to do more realistic sax/flute/brass stuff, since that's where my head has been lately.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
$400 is quite reasonable if it works well. That's less than half of what the least expensive Z-Tar costs. Like you, I don't really need all of the crazy stuff that the Z-Tars will do, just basic MIDI data entry. I'd mostly use it for synth leads, as I prefer to play keyboard for most other things.

I've also been thinking about getting one of those Yamaha MIDI wind controllers to do more realistic sax/flute/brass stuff, since that's where my head has been lately.
Exactly. I don't need the usual ZTar wackiness, I just need multi-octave (this has octave switches, of course) MIDI entry, along with the usual ZTar accuracy, something the YouRock was severely lacking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts