Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's the VM. It's basically just Chrome, with all of Google's stuff and some plug-ins built into it.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Tried it. Deleted it. Pointless.

People say the iPad isn't useful, but this is beyond stupid. It's. A. Browser. Yay!!

Google is far better off concentrating on making Android greater than it already is.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
I haven't tried this yet. The Google Chromium builds that I've tried before have sucked, but this might be different?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I can see this fitting the netbook users more or even people who want a pc that just surfs and nothing else. Not having to worry about software or virus protection.

Like this would work well for my dad because thats all he needs in a pc is hotmail and ebay lol so this would be a great OS for him to try and not have to worry about having a fast pc to run it.

This would also be good for the laptops at my work that we loan patient family's to surf the internet. It would save us from having to set policy's and locking down the pc so much.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I can see this fitting the netbook users more or even people who want a pc that just surfs and nothing else. Not having to worry about software or virus protection.

Like this would work well for my dad because thats all he needs in a pc is hotmail and ebay lol so this would be a great OS for him to try and not have to worry about having a fast pc to run it.

This would also be good for the laptops at my work that we loan patient family's to surf the internet. It would save us from having to set policy's and locking down the pc so much.
All very good ideas... i think it's a good OS for "appliance" type uses, rather than trying to be a replacement for a full-power desktop OS.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Tried it. Deleted it. Pointless.

People say the iPad isn't useful, but this is beyond stupid. It's. A. Browser. Yay!!

Google is far better off concentrating on making Android greater than it already is.
You do realize the browser is where everything is going, right? Microsoft already has plans to move Office into the browser. Net apps is where the future is at.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
You do realize the browser is where everything is going, right? Microsoft already has plans to move Office into the browser. Net apps is where the future is at.
Troof. Google has already shown this with all of their browser apps...

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
No, not everything is going to the browser. Anything CPU-intensive won't be there for a long, long time. There just simply isn't the infrastructure in the US.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
:agreed: Gaming, for example.
Well, gaming is, some would say, because of something like Onlive. However look at the system requirements for the broadband. Quite absurd for many parts of the country.

Additionally, you've got audio work, video work, engineering apps, financial stuff that companies do not want on the cloud, etc.

In other words, a long way to go. Plus, if we stuck people on something like Google Docs for documents, there would be mutiny. It's not enough for a lot of what we do. Perhaps the online version of Office will be.

Of course, a lot of what we're doing now is "private cloud" stuff. XenApp with thin clients, with the backend residing on our virtual infrastructure. None of the apps are anything that are remotely CPU or graphics-intensive though.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
No, not everything is going to the browser. Anything CPU-intensive won't be there for a long, long time. There just simply isn't the infrastructure in the US.
I'm not talking about gaming, since that has always been (and always will be) its own separate design philosophy. In the workplace, everything is moving towards the browser market. E-mail, word processing, spreadsheets, ticketing systems, collaboration, etc, it's all in the browser or going that way.

I recently looked at the computer science curriculum in my old high school, and it is all Java. Same with the first year of college. That is the modern environment.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not talking about gaming, since that has always been (and always will be) its own separate design philosophy. In the workplace, everything is moving towards the browser market. E-mail, word processing, spreadsheets, ticketing systems, collaboration, etc, it's all in the browser or going that way.

I recently looked at the computer science curriculum in my old high school, and it is all Java. Same with the first year of college. That is the modern environment.
:mad: And that drives me batshit insane, because Java is a pile of shit. It's like the first lecture in the class is called "CPU Usage at 99% and how you can get your application to stop wasting that extra .9!".

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
:mad: And that drives me batshit insane, because Java is a pile of shit. It's like the first lecture in the class is called "CPU Usage at 99% and how you can get your application to stop wasting that extra .9!".
You don't have to tell me, bro, since I support Java developers. "WE NEED MOOR HARDWAREZ!!!" :wallbash:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
As much as admin hate Java, learning it is a smart career choice, since EVERYONE is hiring Java developers.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts