Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm about to watch John Carpenter's "The Thing" and I've realized some of my favorite movies fall into this sort of feel. They're sort of dark (they don't have to be), take a long time to build up and convey a lot with very little action. I'm talking about movies like "Alien", "Blade Runner", "2001" etc. While these movies could technically fit into different genres, they all give the same sort of feeling when I watch them.

Anyway I was wondering if you guys had some suggestions for other movies I should watch that could be grouped with the ones I mentioned above. They just don't make sci-fi like they used to.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Event Horizon, sort of. Into the Mouth of Madness as well (though Alien and Blade Runner set the bar pretty high).

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Pitch Black?

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Soylent Green It s SCi fi without much in the way of SCi fi trappings tho. Will probably be remade soon.

Outland Comes to mind (Sean Connery as a Marshall on a corp mining installation.)

Dark City - Most definitely check this out - great film

Others that come to mind
Silent Running, Strange Days, Gattaca

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I agree with everything Chris said.

Event Horizon is like a film adaptation of the original DOOM storyline, moreso than the actual movie of DOOM was. :lol:

"We won't need eyes where we're going!"

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
:lol: I've seen every single film mentioned in this thread. I love these kinds of movies too. :yesway: Can't really think of any to recommend, but lots of good suggestions.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ooo a lot of the suggestions in this thread are good! Some of the movies I've seen, some I've been wanting to see.

For anyone that hasn't seen Terry Gilliam's "Brazil" it is a MUST SEE!

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
So I'm about to watch John Carpenter's "The Thing" and I've realized some of my favorite movies fall into this sort of feel. They're sort of dark (they don't have to be), take a long time to build up and convey a lot with very little action. I'm talking about movies like "Alien", "Blade Runner", "2001" etc. While these movies could technically fit into different genres, they all give the same sort of feeling when I watch them.

Anyway I was wondering if you guys had some suggestions for other movies I should watch that could be grouped with the ones I mentioned above. They just don't make sci-fi like they used to.
John Carpenter's The Thing, Alien and Blade Runner are all in my top 10 movies of all time. The Thing alone is amazing in its minimalism (music, dialog, action) to build incredible suspense.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
It blows my mind how The Thing was such a disaster at the box office. It didn't even make any money really until after it was released on home video. I can't imagine how it didn't sell. :shrug:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It blows my mind how The Thing was such a disaster at the box office. It didn't even make any money really until after it was released on home video. I can't imagine how it didn't sell. :shrug:
Although I consider The Thing his masterpiece, he has some other different movies that I love as well: Big Trouble in Little China, They Live, Escape from NY etc. None of those have ever done well in the box office, however all of those movies have a cult following. His movies are very unique. But yeah, The Thing totally deserved more recognition than it got. I'd like to say it was ahead of its time but honestly I can't think of a time when there were any movies like The Thing.

BTW anyone that's a fan of The Thing should play Penumbra: Black Plague. It's not based on The Thing, but it's definitely inspired by it. Scariest game I've ever played.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts