Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,
I got a american standard 2014 tele with alder body and im playin it through vintage marshall jcm800 2204 (50watt).
playin mostly anything from pop rock to blues and classic hard rock
lookin for good humbucker or noiseless bridge pickup (dont care for tele twang for this guitar)

i narrowed it down to :

SD BG1400
SD lil Pearly gates for tele
SD lil 59
Dimarzio Chopper T
Dimarzio tone zone T

lookin for sounds like robben ford, steve luakhter, larry carlton,lynyrd skynyrd,joe bonamassa
and i need to be able to play some classic rock riffs like acdc zeppelin zztop

i liked the PG for tele spec since it has alnico but theres not lot of info or good youtube reviews

im gonna pair it with my twisted tele neck first if it doesnt work im gonna change the neck to mini hum or humbucker

lookin for your suggestions
thanks

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
BG1400 is HOOOOT like hottest of the hot. Its also supposed to have some of that Tele twang.

The other SD littles are ok but not quite 1:1 for the full size humbucker.

I havent tried the DiMarzios but the chopper T is used by Richie Kotzen to good effect.

If you are looking to just have a little more beef and a little less twang, but dont mind the noise, I would recommend the Tele Texas Special. its over wound, works great for classic rock and isnt as twangy but will cut thru in a mix.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
I have a Chopper T in one of my Teles, and it sounds really good. Nothing like a Tele really lol, but I have another Tele for Tele sounds :)

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
If you are looking to just have a little more beef and a little less twang, but dont mind the noise, I would recommend the Tele Texas Special. its over wound, works great for classic rock and isnt as twangy but will cut thru in a mix.
I'm using a Shin Kicker from Tone Hatch, which is basically a Texas Special clone, in my Tele for my cover band. It'll hang with humbuckers. They're $36.

https://reverb.com/item/32133745-to...bridge-pickup-alnico3-hand-wound-scatterwound

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
No one ever brings up the Dimarzio Fast Track but they sound killer in Teles. I had one in my Tele years back and I loved it. Did everything great.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Im 99% sure I recommended this one to you :lol: there was another thread about tele picks like a few weeks back.

How do you like it?
You actually recommended it to someone else, but I bought one since the Duncan I had in it was too twangy and not enough grrr. It's a pretty kick ass pickup - meaty but still with that searing top end, like a Texas Special with a bit more hair. I recommend it, especially for $36.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
I have to say, for $70 bucks I may try a set of their Strat pickups, they are literally dirt cheap (and by that I mean the fancy dirt you get in supermarkets in nice clean plastic bags, not little league infield near 2nd base dirt).

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
I have to say, for $70 bucks I may try a set of their Strat pickups, they are literally dirt cheap (and by that I mean the fancy dirt you get in supermarkets in nice clean plastic bags, not little league infield near 2nd base dirt).
If I had something to put them in, I'd be there with you. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Is the guy just a hobbyist? How can you make a business work selling a pickup for $36? Does he literally only put 30 minutes of work into them? :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Is the guy just a hobbyist? How can you make a business work selling a pickup for $36? Does he literally only put 30 minutes of work into them? :lol:
Well, the parts are about a buck, so if it's taking him half an hour a pickup (not unreasonable), he's making $60 an hour. Not bad.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Not bad, maybe if he's on his wife's insurance plan? Or, if he lives in BFE and living costs are low :lol:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I'm just trying real hard to defend Wolfe's pricing, because I want to grab some of his P90's :lol:

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
I can tell you that the Pearly Gates seems pretty decent - I put one in the bridge of my ash telecaster. My setup is a little different than yours because I went with a full-size humbucker (Pearly Gates) neck. I kept all of the OE stuff (which was all Texas Tele) just in case I didn't like it.

There was conflicting word as to whether to go with 250k pots and .047 cap (the original setup) even with the humbuckers, but I'm happy I went 500k and .022.

The Pearly Gates Tele, on paper, looks like a fairly hot pickup, but it's not dry or sterile like you'd expect and doesn't sound overly hot.

It's responsive to the volume pot and the tone pot makes a hell of a difference as it's set up. Without an overdrive, the volume can push my Supro 1970RK to a mild breakup or roll off to a nice, sweet ring. The tone pot can go from damned bright to almost a muffled mud. Sweet spot for me is rolling it back about 2 or 3.

IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT MAKE YOUR TELE SOUND LIKE A LES PAUL. You can get a really nice growl with an overdrive and some volume, (obviously, I'm not using a high gain amp) but you still know this is a Telecaster an not a mahogany Paul. I can't explain it other than to say that most of your Tele honk is gone but there's still some background chime.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts