Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Killer! I've had this exact question in my head for the last few weeks... "What would real-deal classical vocalists think of the metal gods we love?"

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Very cool, but that title annoys the shit out of me.

Turns out we're all faux-musicians. Despite the fact that we can out-theory and out-play 98% of all indie/pop musicians, ours is somehow 'lesser' music. :mad:

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
So, Halford, Dio & Dickinson are amazing singers and Ozzy blows. Nothing I didn't already know.

I'd definitely agree with her that Rob has the most skill out of all them, though.

I'd really like to see this lady go over some of the "Opera singers" from those female-fronted type metal bands (Nightwish, etc).

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
What's funny is that the woman who runs the Invisible Oranges blog is the one who came up with that title. Definitely not a good choice of words, as I doubt that's what she meant. :2cents:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts

Turns out we're all faux-musicians. Despite the fact that we can out-theory and out-play 98% of all indie/pop musicians, ours is somehow 'lesser' music. :mad:
Do you hang out around classical musicians much? About 60% of them have a serious superiority complex. I love the classical music genre, but alot of the musicians are assholes. It doesn't bother me though, I've never felt like I had to prove anything as a musician, but I can see why it would get on other peoples nerves.

And no offense, but 98% of the metal guys who think they know theory (which usually relates to classical western music theory)......really don't. There are 3-4 guys (atleast the ones who post about theory alot) between here and ss.org with a really good understanding (serious props to those guys), the rest are mostly just guys trying to impress by throwing around the phrases key change and polyrhythm.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I'd really like to see this lady go over some of the "Opera singers" from those female-fronted type metal bands (Nightwish, etc).
That would be pretty funny. Metal musicians that make it a huge point to use classical terms to describe their music (e.g. operatic) make me :lol: Alot of those female power metal singers don't even have a large range. Now Ian Gillan, theres a guy with an operatic range.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
That would be pretty funny. Metal musicians that make it a huge point to use classical terms to describe their music (e.g. operatic) make me :lol: Alot of those female power metal singers don't even have a large range. Now Ian Gillan, theres a guy with an operatic range.
As I understood it, Tarja was actually classically trained. New chick, not so much, but fuck she's hot.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
As I understood it, Tarja was actually classically trained. New chick, not so much, but fuck she's hot.
New chick (anette I think) is better IMO. I can't stand Tarja's vocal inflection. Amaranath is a fucking awesome catchy song. Whenever I find myslef listening to it I play it like twenty times in a row :lol:

And the video for Bye Bye Beautiful :JJ:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I'd definitely agree with her that Rob has the most skill out of all them, though.
I always thought Dio and Dickinson both did something better than Halford--Bruce has a powerful, massive sounding voice, and Dio's timbre was so amazingly thick that you didn't realize how high up the register he was--but Halford has a far more complete set of tools at his disposal.

Just listen to the last couple of lines in "One Shot at Glory", since I don't think anyone, including King Diamond, has as powerful of a falsetto voice as Rob does. Everyone always thinks of the screechy "Painkiller" voice, since it is so aggressive, but I find the clear, bell-like quality and frighteningly long sustain he was capable of in his prime as one of the most impressive displays of vocal prowess I have ever heard. Especially when he effortlessly shifts into or out of that head voice in the middle of lines. :eek:

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I always thought Dio and Dickinson both did something better than Halford--Bruce has a powerful, massive sounding voice, and Dio's timbre was so amazingly thick that you didn't realize how high up the register he was--but Halford has a far more complete set of tools at his disposal.
Thats what I was kind of getting at. He's like, somewhere between Dio and Dickinson. The 70s priest stuff shows his range off a LOT more than anything else they've ever done. Especially Sad Wings & Stained Class.

Just listen to the last couple of lines in "One Shot at Glory", since I don't think anyone, including King Diamond, has as powerful of a falsetto voice as Rob does. Everyone always thinks of the screechy "Painkiller" voice, since it is so aggressive, but I find the clear, bell-like quality and frighteningly long sustain he was capable of in his prime as one of the most impressive displays of vocal prowess I have ever heard. Especially when he effortlessly shifts into or out of that head voice in the middle of lines. :eek:
:agreed:
His screechy painkiller voice is just amazing. It's probably more evil than any other vocalist I can think of offhand. Especially on some of the shit on Crucible and Resurrection. Fucking amazing.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts

Halford has aged alot better than Dickinson as well (though I like them both equally). I think Stained Class is the best Priest album to showcase his vocal talent (and the best one overal IMO).

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts

Someone once said, "Music is too important to be left in the hands of professionals," but I'm having trouble coming up with a name...

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
That was a really awesome article. My personal favorite is Dio. But I like them all (with the exception of Ozzy :lol:)

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Interesting that this teacher praises Dickinson's technique maybe the most of all the singers, and his voice has held up the best of them (well, maybe excluding King Diamond--I haven't listened to his recent recordings, so I don't know).

Dio's voice declined a bit in his final years, but heck, the guy was in his sixties. Most opera singers retire before that, and most people start to lose pitch control as they get older. Dio recognized that and stopped trying to sustain notes the way he did before, rather than risk going off-pitch. What's amazing about Dio is that he didn't do any of the "right things" that singers are supposed to do. He never studied proper technique, he smoked for years, and he was more than happy to down a few beers while singing in the studio.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Interesting that this teacher praises Dickinson's technique maybe the most of all the singers, and his voice has held up the best of them
You think dickinson's voice has held up better than Halford's? Bruce has changed his style alot post SSOASS, and I think part of that is because he can't do what he used to on the classic 80s albums. Its sadly pretty apparent on TFF, theres alot of autotune on the harmonies, whereas he was impeccable on everything in the 80s.

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
Alot.

When you use the term "alot," I find it amusing. A lot.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts