Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been gifted a Toshiba laptop to replace my Dell that was stolen at New Year.

It isn't as ridiculously powerful as my Dell was but it'll do the job. The problem is right now it's packed to the brim with google desktop and firefox add-ons and picasa apps and all that nonsense. I'd rather go through and blitz the programs I won't ever use myself but I have no knowledge of registry cleaners (never had to with my Mac) and after all the spam on websites for the servive I'm sceptical. :lol:

Any suggestions for programs and/or processes?

Complete reinstall isn't an option as I don't have Vista install discs my Windows 7 discs won't work on this computer (Dell-only), so a clean up from the ground up seems to be it :s

·
Read Only
10 Posts
CCleaner will do 99% of it.

Piriform - Download CCleaner, Defraggler, Recuva, Speccy - Millions of users worldwide!

Process:

- Run it, clean everything
- Run the registry check, clean everything
- Reboot
- Uninstall all the crap you can via the control panel
- Run the registry check again, clean everything
- Reboot
- Run the cleaner again
- Run the registry check again
- Check services and pick off anything that got left behind
- Reboot
- Run the cleaner
- Run the registry check

Done.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I was always lazy and just reformatted the whole fuckin' thing when this happened to me. :lol: That's why I always have two hard drives - one for the OS and programs, the other for all media.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CCleaner will do 99% of it.

Piriform - Download CCleaner, Defraggler, Recuva, Speccy - Millions of users worldwide!

Process:

- Run it, clean everything
- Run the registry check, clean everything
- Reboot
- Uninstall all the crap you can via the control panel
- Run the registry check again, clean everything
- Reboot
- Run the cleaner again
- Check services and pick off anything that got left behind
- Reboot
- Run the cleaner
- Run the registry check

Done.
Worth defragging it overnight and giving it another cclean?

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
Are you sure a complete format and OS reinstall isn't an option? I've been able to install non-OEM operating systems on Dells. :scratch: Anyway, it won't work quite like new if you can't reformat it, but Chris's post should get you most of the way there. I'd also recommend doing a thorough-as-fuck virus/malware scan (or two, or three) and using Autoruns to go through your startup items, since it will show a lot of things that other starup managers won't.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you sure a complete format and OS reinstall isn't an option? I've been able to install non-OEM operating systems on Dells. :scratch: Anyway, it won't work quite like new if you can't reformat it, but Chris's post should get you most of the way. I'd also recommend doing a thorough-as-fuck virus/malware scan (or two, or three) and using Autoruns to go through your startup items, since it will show a lot of things that other starup managers won't.
No, it's a Toshiba. Windows 7 is Dell-specific, I believe, as it arrived not a week after my laptop was stolen as part of my update-it-when-it's-available package. :lol:

:(

Will give that a look though, Tom. :yesway:

Thanks guys, all of this is much appreciated!

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, is there anyway to turn off those fucking annoying "are you sure you want to delete this? Are you sure you aren't an idiot?" popups whenever I try to delete shortcuts and folders? And the popups that ask if I really want to run a program from the start menu?

Fuckit, might format it and install Windows 2000. :lol: Much better. All it needs to run is Mechwarrior 3 and some CFD programs. :lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I don't get it, there should be no reason that any copy of Windows anything will not work on any PC with sufficient hardware to install, as long as it has x86 processor architecture. :shrug:

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I was younger Dell software was staunchly Dell-only and wouldn't run on anything else. On top of that, Windows 7 will be 64-bit while this is a 32-bit machine as near as I can tell.

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
No, it's a Toshiba. Windows 7 is Dell-specific, I believe, as it arrived not a week after my laptop was stolen as part of my update-it-when-it's-available package. :lol:
Oh! Yeah, I read that part completely wrong.

Fuckit, might format it and install Windows 2000. :lol: Much better. All it needs to run is Mechwarrior 3 and some CFD programs. :lol:
2000? Blech. You may as well just pick up a copy of XP.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
When I was younger Dell software was staunchly Dell-only and wouldn't run on anything else. On top of that, Windows 7 will be 64-bit while this is a 32-bit machine as near as I can tell.
Well the 64-bit thing will fuck you. And I've never owned a Dell, but that still smells funny. I know they have or used to have proprietary RAM with two extra fucking pins or something, but there are reasons the x86 system is a standard... perhaps I'm out of my league here, though.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh! Yeah, I read that part completely wrong.

2000? Blech. You may as well just pick up a copy of XP.
XP has that whole assumes-user-is-an-idiot-so-hides-anything-with-power-by-default thing going on. :lol:

2000 (not ME!) is the only Windows OS I've used consistently since it came out, everything else drove me up the wall. :lol:

I'm using this as a portable typewriter, really. CFD and CAD functions are an added bonus, as is a couple of games, but not necessary! :) All my photo stuff is done in Lightroom on my mac.

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
I don't get it, there should be no reason that any copy of Windows anything will not work on any PC with sufficient hardware to install, as long as it has x86 processor architecture. :shrug:
The OS install discs that come with a premade Dell, HP, Compaq, etc. machine are made to only be installable on the original hardware.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts