Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Not woot.

If everyone switches to Apple, people will start seriously writing malware for Apple systems.

Also, the 360 is still an awesome console.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree on some points, but it's a bit over the top.

- The Zune is a flop, and has to be even more so with kids these days. Kids, if nothing else, are name brand conscious. "Hey, check out my new iPod!" has to be cooler than "Check out my new Zune!".

- Bing is fail. Google's name is just as silly, but Google beat them to the punch with the silly, easy to remember search engine name. Bing tried to do the same thing and it's plainly obvious. "Let me go Bing that" is just ridiculous.

- Windows' driver support is still shit. Why is it that I can put in a 5 year old copy of Redhat on a brand new Dell server and it will find everything, but I still have to load third party shit if I install Server 2008 on it?

- And while I'm at it, why has MS not fixed the XP installation process at all? Even with a slipstreamed SP3 install, if you miss a step or forget to install a driver (say, for a SAS array), your only options are still Quit "or" Reboot. Why can't I go back and try another driver? It's especially obnoxious on servers, since their boot process can be long and painful. And why do I still need a floppy to install those drivers? Win7 may be the newest, but fucktons of corporations are still on XP. Fix it, for fuck's sake.

- The one Windows Mobile phone I've used (HTC HD2) was awful. Slow, convoluted, bloated crap. I'm a geek and it took me a while to figure out how to do anything beyond basic shit with it. The iPhone could be used by an eight year old within 5 minutes, and it's display is about 500% more responsive.

- I don't like Win7, but I do agree that it's miles better than Vista. Aero's resources, though, should be on par with something like KDE/Gnome, and they're not - why does it use so much more to do the same things that our X-Desktops have been doing for ages?

- Still no proper shell in Win7 or Server 2010. The Command Prompt has been largely unchanged since what, Windows 3.1? The inclusion of bash in Windows (or some set of linux style tools) would make the whole world happy. Thank goodness for Cygwin.

- Wrapping IE into the kernel was a great idea at the start, but the fact that they've ignored FF for so long is a huge fumble. They have the payroll, and the reputation of IE is common knowledge. Instead of hotfixing and patching more crap into IE, just release it as a separate app so that developers, freeware coders and everyone else can actually work with it to make it a viable alternative yet.

.2c

·
M3 Aficionado
1,278 Posts
If everyone switches to Apple, people will start seriously writing malware for Apple systems.
True, but it won't make that much of a difference. Apple's OSes have always been tremendously more secure than Microsoft's. The claim that the only reason there's more Microsoft targeted viruses is because it's more common is false. It's more popular, because it's a relatively easy target.

Ray

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Microsoft should just leave the consumer market to the companies that get it. IBM never succeeded in the consumer market because they didn't get it. Microsoft has tried and tried, and despite a few successes (like the XBOX), they still don't get it. Even the XBOX is succeeding not so much because of the platform itself, but because of the content. A friend of mine has had something like five XBOX 360s RRoD on him.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

They called it unix, but it was Linux, just like a Mac :agreed:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Not woot.

Also, the 360 is still an awesome console.
I agree. Malware today correlates with marketshare, especially when it's all about money/power.

I agree on some points, but it's a bit over the top.

- The Zune is a flop, and has to be even more so with kids these days. Kids, if nothing else, are name brand conscious. "Hey, check out my new iPod!" has to be cooler than "Check out my new Zune!".

- Bing is fail. Google's name is just as silly, but Google beat them to the punch with the silly, easy to remember search engine name. Bing tried to do the same thing and it's plainly obvious. "Let me go Bing that" is just ridiculous.

- Windows' driver support is still shit. Why is it that I can put in a 5 year old copy of Redhat on a brand new Dell server and it will find everything, but I still have to load third party shit if I install Server 2008 on it?

- And while I'm at it, why has MS not fixed the XP installation process at all? Even with a slipstreamed SP3 install, if you miss a step or forget to install a driver (say, for a SAS array), your only options are still Quit "or" Reboot. Why can't I go back and try another driver? It's especially obnoxious on servers, since their boot process can be long and painful. And why do I still need a floppy to install those drivers? Win7 may be the newest, but fucktons of corporations are still on XP. Fix it, for fuck's sake.

- The one Windows Mobile phone I've used (HTC HD2) was awful. Slow, convoluted, bloated crap. I'm a geek and it took me a while to figure out how to do anything beyond basic shit with it. The iPhone could be used by an eight year old within 5 minutes, and it's display is about 500% more responsive.

- I don't like Win7, but I do agree that it's miles better than Vista. Aero's resources, though, should be on par with something like KDE/Gnome, and they're not - why does it use so much more to do the same things that our X-Desktops have been doing for ages?

- Still no proper shell in Win7 or Server 2010. The Command Prompt has been largely unchanged since what, Windows 3.1? The inclusion of bash in Windows (or some set of linux style tools) would make the whole world happy. Thank goodness for Cygwin.

- Wrapping IE into the kernel was a great idea at the start, but the fact that they've ignored FF for so long is a huge fumble. They have the payroll, and the reputation of IE is common knowledge. Instead of hotfixing and patching more crap into IE, just release it as a separate app so that developers, freeware coders and everyone else can actually work with it to make it a viable alternative yet.

.2c
Agree on all counts. It really pisses me off that I cannot SSH into machines from any Linux, Mac, or Windows machine, and that the shell is completely different. Exchange 2010 has so much that can be done in the shell, but it's fucking Powershell, not any POSIX-standard shell.

True, but it won't make that much of a difference. Apple's OSes have always been tremendously more secure than Microsoft's. The claim that the only reason there's more Microsoft targeted viruses is because it's more common is false. It's more popular, because it's a relatively easy target.

Ray
I disagree completely. While OS X may have been much more secure than XP, that's definitely no longer the case with 7. In fact in many ways 7 is more secure than OS X 10.6.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Talking about drivers and 2008? I tried to install it on my RX2600 (Itanium) and it needed drivers :lol: SERIOUSLY? I mean how many Itanium systems are there let alone different components in them? :lol: Epic Fail

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Microsoft was late to the game with tablets? :lol: More like hardware was late to the game when MS started talking tablets, as far back as what, 2000? 2001? Somewhere around there? And now, it's tablet manufacturers who are late to the game, tablets have been talked about for well over a year now, and hardly any have actually come to market, and those that have have largely just been slow assed netbooks without a keyboard. Windows 7 is still the fastest selling Windows to boot, their "consumer" name isn't going anywhere. 91% of computers in the WORLD still run on Windows. How's that for a name? MS also has a tablet specific OS, Windows 7 Embedded, but we haven't really seen anything based on it yet. If I'm not mistaken, isn't the ExoPC supposed to be based on it?

They dropped the ball on Windows Phone 7 coming to the party so late and all. The Zune isn't a flop because it's a bad player, it's a flop because anyone who thinks mp3 player thinks iPod. No other player is doing as well, and honestly, MS didn't even need to get into the mp3 player market. The Zune Marketplace however, is expanding, already to the 360, and WP7 will have it embedded as well. They are doing what they always should have done, and making Zune more than just a piece of hardware, they're making it an experience.

Also, stock prices don't say anything. Apple is clearly in a massive bubble right now, and for the people who own stock, that's great, but at some point that bubble will burst. Microsoft is still a wildly profitable company, despite their stock prices.

The Wii outselling the Xbox doesn't mean a whole lot, it's also absurdly cheap, and has been from the getgo. The 360 has both been wildly successful and quite profitable. Even with the RRoD issue and a complete hardware overhaul, 360 has been a profitable venture for MS.

I can't really see eye to eye with most of the article. Also, Chris, you're complaining about server side issues when the article is about the consumer side? I've run XP since beta, and never run into the issues you outlined with install, I'm guessing it's a largely circumstantial and absurdly limited issue. I also have not had any driver compatibility issues yet with Windows 7. In fact, Windows 7 did something XP could never handle, a full hardware change, when I upgraded from my aging Opteron 170 based system to a Phenom II X4 965 based system, which also meant going from a Nvidia video card to an ATI. No BSOD's, no driver issues, it booted up, found all the hardware, rebooted and worked flawlessly.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can't really see eye to eye with most of the article. Also, Chris, you're complaining about server side issues when the article is about the consumer side? I've run XP since beta, and never run into the issues you outlined with install, I'm guessing it's a largely circumstantial and absurdly limited issue. I also have not had any driver compatibility issues yet with Windows 7. In fact, Windows 7 did something XP could never handle, a full hardware change, when I upgraded from my aging Opteron 170 based system to a Phenom II X4 965 based system, which also meant going from a Nvidia video card to an ATI. No BSOD's, no driver issues, it booted up, found all the hardware, rebooted and worked flawlessly.
It's not server-specific, and it's not largely circumstantial. Shitloads of consumer computers have RAID arrays in them these days, and have for ages. If Windows doesn't natively support your RAID driver, you need to install the driver from a floppy. It's DEFINITELY not "absurdly limited". I've run into it about 50-60 times, and I'm sure everyone else whose ever been in the IT field has as well. If you have a machine with a SATA CD drive and a SAS array, you're loading third party drivers the majority of the time. And you are loading them from floppy - not USB, not a second CD, not over a network - from a floppy. :lol:

I've probably installed Windows XP WELL over 500 times in my life. Just because Win7 is out doesn't mean that everyone's running it. Corporations - private, government, and military - have a shitload of money invested in XP licensing and a VERY large number of them are not planning to upgrade past XP any time soon.

You're speaking from a purely consumer standpoint as a guy that owns one computer. You don't know what your'e talking about, chief. :wub: It's no wonder you think Win7 isn't shitty! :fawk:

(i kid, i kid!)

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Wii outselling the Xbox doesn't mean a whole lot, it's also absurdly cheap, and has been from the getgo. The 360 has both been wildly successful and quite profitable. Even with the RRoD issue and a complete hardware overhaul, 360 has been a profitable venture for MS.
Totally agree here. Everyone owns a Wii because they're cheap and fun. As a gaming console, it's selection of games sucks ass, but as a party favor, drunken Wii Sports is fuckin' awesome. :D

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
It's not server-specific, and it's not largely circumstantial. Shitloads of consumer computers have RAID arrays in them these days, and have for ages. If Windows doesn't natively support your RAID driver, you need to install the driver from a floppy. It's DEFINITELY not "absurdly limited". I've run into it about 50-60 times, and I'm sure everyone else whose ever been in the IT field has as well. If you have a machine with a SATA CD drive and a SAS array, you're loading third party drivers the majority of the time. And you are loading them from floppy - not USB, not a second CD, not over a network - from a floppy. :lol:

I've probably installed Windows XP WELL over 500 times in my life. Just because Win7 is out doesn't mean that everyone's running it. Corporations - private, government, and military - have a shitload of money invested in XP licensing and a VERY large number of them are not planning to upgrade past XP any time soon.

You're speaking from a purely consumer standpoint as a guy that owns one computer. You don't know what your'e talking about, chief. :wub: It's no wonder you think Win7 isn't shitty! :fawk:

(i kid, i kid!)
RAID array's were an issue for me, but that's why I kept a floppy drive until like 3 years ago :lol: I understand not rushing to Vista, that crap is crap. I wouldn't have guessed RAID arrays were so popular in the mass market? Only the hardest core of geeks such as myself ever used RAID in the past :lol: I sure as hell don't use it now, I don't have any need to mirror a drive, nor is the performance worth the hassle.

Also, you don't want to know how much hardware I've actually owned :lol: I'm like a modern day Jeff :rofl: I don't even want to guess how many times I've reinstalled fucking XP :lol:

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Totally agree here. Everyone owns a Wii because they're cheap and fun. As a gaming console, it's selection of games sucks ass, but as a party favor, drunken Wii Sports is fuckin' awesome. :D
Though now, drunken Playstation Move is how my friends roll :lol: Move is actually pretty nice though.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
RAID array's were an issue for me, but that's why I kept a floppy drive until like 3 years ago :lol: I understand not rushing to Vista, that crap is crap. I wouldn't have guessed RAID arrays were so popular in the mass market? Only the hardest core of geeks such as myself ever used RAID in the past :lol: I sure as hell don't use it now, I don't have any need to mirror a drive, nor is the performance worth the hassle.
That's crazy talk. Drives have never been cheaper, and if you don't care about the performance, the fault tolerance aspect of it should be enticing enough. The PC I sold Drew has a RAID. My parents' machine has a RAID, and it was $800. :lol:

It used to be a geek-only "luxury" because drives were expensive, and controllers even more so. Look in your BIOS, if your machine is less than two years old, I'll bet you a beer that it has it onboard.

Mirroring is a no brainer dude. You buy a drive for next to nothing, put it in, and forget about it. So if your drive dies, there's no backing up/restoring/etc. You just slap in a new drive and you're good to go.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Though now, drunken Playstation Move is how my friends roll :lol: Move is actually pretty nice though.
I'll be picking that up too. :lol: The only Wii games I ever play are the Wii Sports ones, and only with friends over. So. Much. Fun. :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts