Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Has anyone else watched this? I was home sick a couple of days this week, so I signed up for a free one month trial of YouTube Red and binge watched all ten episodes. It's absolutely fucking awesome. I love how they flipped things around, since you now get to see things from Johnny's point of view. Both Johnny and Daniel wind up being far more complex than the simple good guy/bad guy dynamic of the first movie, and it strikes a great balance between corny nostalgia jokes and modern relevance. Absolutely worth the watch. :yesway:

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
They did publicity shots in my dojo in Manhattan 2 weeks ago, but the students weren't allowed to be there.

All these pics are in the Seido Honbu on 23rd St. in Manhattan. If you scroll down to the video, you can see Kaicho Tadashi Nakamura in the background at about the 0:42 mark :) 9th Dan, founder of the style, living legend :)
YouTube Red Hopes This Karate Kid Revival Series Becomes Its Own House of Cards - Adweek

Everyone I've known in my karate life has wanted one of those cobra Kai gis too :) No one rooted for Macchio lol

·
18,790 Posts
I've heard great things, but as someone not living in the Land of the Free I don't have access to YouTube Red. I haven't looked into what other options they have for this one yet, but I know other Red shows the only options were buy individual episodes for too much money, or "find" it elsewhere :lol:

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
I watched the free episode they were pimping and it was alright but i'm not paying for Red for that :lol:

I've got to many damn subscriptions as it is with Prime and Netflix....plus cable TV...FFS

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
My friend was telling me about this yesterday, the teaser looked great so I am gonne try the free month too. :yesway:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I've heard great things, but as someone not living in the Land of the Free I don't have access to YouTube Red. I haven't looked into what other options they have for this one yet, but I know other Red shows the only options were buy individual episodes for too much money, or "find" it elsewhere :lol:
:salute:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I watched the free episode they were pimping and it was alright but i'm not paying for Red for that :lol:

I've got to many damn subscriptions as it is with Prime and Netflix....plus cable TV...FFS
Hey, Captain Reading Comprehension, sign up for the free one month trial and cancel before the month is up. :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And the original was a thespian tour de force? :lol:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I'm through the first 8 episodes, after I broke a string on my Strat on Friday night and figured I may as well watch the first episode before bed. 6 episodes and way too much gin later... :lol: Johnny makes an unexpectedly good anti-hero, but I think where this really excels is in the way both characters' motivations become increasingly complicated - Johnny is doing a lot of good, but also in some ways being a clearly negative influence, whereas Danny is solidly off the pedestal the first movie places him on, yet at the same time is still the more positive role model. It's a very grey movie, in ways that work surprisingly well.

Man, the acting on this show is terrible :lol:
It's inconsistent. Some characters are very well acted (the kid Johnny takes under his wing, for one, has been pretty good, Danny's mother seemed very natural, Danny's daughter is pretty good, etc), however unless I'm greatly misstaken neither Ralph Macchio nor whoever played Johnny have done much acting since the 80s, and in a few places it shows, probably more so for Johnny than Danny. Not across the board, they both are strong in certain spots or with certain emotions, but they got the job because they were the original two actors, in a movie that probably didn't place much in the way of demands on them as teenagers, so it's probably unavoidable.

I think if you're watching something and find yourself thinking about the acting, that's a bad sign. :lol: But, at the same time, it's not like its really across the board terrible - there are just moments where something jumps out at you as being stiff and awkward and unnatural. :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's inconsistent. Some characters are very well acted (the kid Johnny takes under his wing, for one, has been pretty good, Danny's mother seemed very natural, Danny's daughter is pretty good, etc), however unless I'm greatly misstaken neither Ralph Macchio nor whoever played Johnny have done much acting since the 80s, and in a few places it shows, probably more so for Johnny than Danny. Not across the board, they both are strong in certain spots or with certain emotions, but they got the job because they were the original two actors, in a movie that probably didn't place much in the way of demands on them as teenagers, so it's probably unavoidable.
Xolo Maridueña (Miguel) is absolutely the standout of all the kids. He does a great job at being the awkward new kid, as well as portraying the growth of his character from the beginning to the end of the series. He's been acting in television since he was a preteen, though, so it's not entirely unexpected.

I though Ralph Macchio's performances often felt forced, except when he's in car salesman mode. Since really, every car salesman seems like a bad actor. :lol: I disagree with you about William Zabka, though, since he seems the most at home when he's snapping off the decidedly un-PC one-liners. He really does remind me of every slightly bigoted dick that is two or three decades behind where the world has moved to. He seems more off when he's trying to be more of a mentor/adult in the room, but that kind of jives with how his character is naturally uncomfortable in that roll.

There is an extended scene those two share in episode nine that sort of corrects all of that, though, since it is absolutely the most natural they seem in the entire series. I'm kind of wondering if they were half in the bag when they filmed it.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I disagree with you about William Zabka, though, since he seems the most at home when he's snapping off the decidedly un-PC one-liners. He really does remind me of every slightly bigoted dick that is two or three decades behind where the world has moved to. He seems more off when he's trying to be more of a mentor/adult in the room, but that kind of jives with how his character is naturally uncomfortable in that roll.
Oh, I totally agree there. And I think generally any time he was to lose his temper or anything along those lines, or say something fairly cutting (I thought the scene at the end of episode 8 with his dad was great, the combination of anger and sadness and distance), he's good. I think anytime he's asked to act confused he struggles, not in a way that feels oorganically like a man not used to confusion is confused, but as in it's just not natural to him as an actor. I'll be curious if they do get several seasons out of it, if his acting will gradually improve.

And Macchio is alfully schmoozy, huh? :lol:

Miguel is great, probably a little more so as you get into the second and third thirds of the series and he begins to get some confidence, but even at the beginning he seemed a pretty believable character. I also think while Hawk's transformation happened almost too fast, he's the guy more than anyone else so far where I think I can see seeds of what Cobra Kai used to be coming through today.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And Macchio is awfully schmoozy, huh? :lol:
Nothing is as painful as watching him try to be the teacher. He feels like a corporate video presentation of being a teacher. :lol:

Miguel is great, probably a little more so as you get into the second and third thirds of the series and he begins to get some confidence, but even at the beginning he seemed a pretty believable character. I also think while Hawk's transformation happened almost too fast, he's the guy more than anyone else so far where I think I can see seeds of what Cobra Kai used to be coming through today.
Wait until you get on the other side of episode ten, since I think Miguel is the character that shows the most depth, change, and complication of the entire series.

Hawk is quite obviously the "Get him a body bag!" character of the series. :lol:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Nothing is as painful as watching him try to be the teacher. He feels like a corporate video presentation of being a teacher. :lol:
Even then he has moments. "Except not as big losers as you, because I still scored chicks!" :lol:

...which, actually, I'd be more inclined to use your defense there, as to me that sounds like a guy who, being perfectly honest, was kind of a loser at the start of the series and must have been aware of that on some level, giving his best impression of a tough-guy motivational speech. Kind of doing what he thought he needed to be doing, but faking the conviction.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Even then he has moments. "Except not as big losers as you, because I still scored chicks!" :lol:
I meant Daniel. :lol: Johnny seems awkward as teacher at times, since he is supposed to be awkward at it. He never actually had a good teacher.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I meant Daniel. :lol: Johnny seems awkward as teacher at times, since he is supposed to be awkward at it. He nevr actually had a good teacher.
Oh shit, your comment makes a lot more sense now. :lol:

That thing with the "last thing Mr. Miyagi taught me" on the rock, I can just tell, is going to be dumb. :lol:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts