Metal Guitarist Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
So, finished the last episode. Really enjoyed it. Glad Johnny didn't fuck things up, and the fight was awesome. The "super hero team-up" was predictable, but with what they allude to for season four, I think it'll be really cool. I don't know how much people that weren't really into the Karate Kid series would enjoy this (my wife's got zero interest) but I'm still really digging it.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
I started watching this tonight. I'm only 3 episodes in, but I can already tell it's gonna be way better than Season 2. Hell, it might even be better than Season 1. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

Although I enjoyed The Karate Kid when I myself was a kid, I hated all the other movies in the series back then (seriously, The Karate Kid Part II is pure garbage and Part III is even worse -- and is Part IV even worth mentioning?).

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I started watching this tonight. I'm only 3 episodes in, but I can already tell it's gonna be way better than Season 2. Hell, it might even be better than Season 1. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

Although I enjoyed The Karate Kid when I myself was a kid, I hated all the other movies in the series back then (seriously, The Karate Kid Part II is pure garbage and Part III is even worse -- and is Part IV even worth mentioning?).
Is part IV The Next Karate Kid? Never saw it. Don't even remember III, though I know I saw it, but I loved the first two. Granted, that was when I was a kid; I've never seen them since. I'm definitely thinking they don't hold up. :lol:

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
I have loved every single season of this. The only bad thing is having to wait for the next season.

Even if the acting is off, it actually, in my opinion, adds to it and just makes it. I don't want to see full quality acting, as that, somehow, just wouldn't fit.

Love it.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Is part IV The Next Karate Kid? Never saw it. Don't even remember III, though I know I saw it, but I loved the first two. Granted, that was when I was a kid; I've never seen them since. I'm definitely thinking they don't hold up. :lol:
Yeah, it's not called "Part IV," and that makes sense since Ralph Macchio isn't even in it, but it's the worst of the series, and 3 was pretty awful. I do know that there are some who love Part 2, but I think that's an awful film, personally.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
So I finished watching Season 3. Overall I'd definitely say it was better than Season 2. I don't think it was necessarily better than Season 1, though.

There were some pretty cringy moments. The entire parts in Tokyo and Okinawa struck me as incredibly cringy. I mean, in a way, you can't really blame them since The Karate Kid Part II was pretty cringy. It was like it was written by someone who not only knew absolutely nothing about Japan, but someone who went out of their way to get everything wrong. I could go one by one and point out how literally everything is pure nonsense, but I think it could be summed up with how Tomi Village Green looked more American than most places in the US. One example of just how crazy it was, they had to pick a Jersey Mike's of all places in the example the lady gave? I was pretty sure that the US was the only country on the planet with Jersey Mike's, but apparently there are 5 locations outside of the US: in Canada and Australia (none in Asia, of course... or Europe for that matter). The two "Japan" episodes did make me think even more "Why do they call them 'Sensei Lawrence,' 'Sensei LaRusso,' and 'Sensei Kreese'? I mean, Miyagi didn't call him 'San Daniel,' did he?" I guess it's kind of like "san" is treated as Japanese, while "sensei" is treated as English, so "san" comes after the name like in Japanese, but "sensei" comes before the name like in English (in actual Japanese, it would, of course, be Lawrence-Sensei, LaRusso-Sensei, Kreese-Sensei).

I was a bit surprised by how much of an asshole they made Robbie, though. At the beginning of the first season, he was a good guy who just did bad things, but he had a good heart and he became more and more of a good person throughout the season. In Season 3, he seems a lot less... sympathetic. Like, when he finds Sam and Miguel together, he goes berserk. He fucking threw Miguel off the 2nd story and got him paralyzed from the waist down. Miguel was in a coma for a few weeks. And he has the GALL to explode about the two of them being together? Especially after he refused to respond to any of Sam's e-mails? They attempt to kind of tone down Robby here and there maybe to show it as him just losing his temper and getting overly emotional, which would make it easier to explain away, but then in the last episode he sides with Kreese, even though Kreese is clearly in the wrong, no matter how you look at it.

In the whole show, the scene that made me laugh the most was when Miguel's mom starts making out with Johnny and she pushes him against the wall, his flat-screen TV falls to the ground and shatters, and they just keep at it. Johnny is dirt poor and she just demolished his TV. :lol: Anyway, I laughed.

I was really glad that they brought back Kyler. Although his character is a total douchebag, I like the actor and he's a very entertaining character to watch. Eli changed from a character you could root for in Season 1 to a character you really root against in Season 3 (well, technically it was Season 1 where you started to root against him). But Eli's sudden change in the final episode was a HUGE change in my opinion. It really came out of nowhere. Especially since Eli was the biggest bully in terms of violence in Cobra Kai. I mean, Eli and Tory were hands down the more vile members of Cobra Kai. Then it's almost like simply having to work alongside Kyler made him decide to abandon the dojo.

The one thing I can't understand is why every member of Cobra Kai isn't in jail. Tory's actress is really cute, but her character is arguably the most evil member of Cobra Kai. She goes beyond being a total BEEEYOTCH and into pure psychotic territory. She makes Kyler look like an angel, even when he's at his worst.

Kreese was cartoonishly "evil" in the original movies, and they kept that in this series, but I thought it was an interesting choice how they showed his past as a pretty nice guy. I guess they probably did that to show how characters can change. Maybe also to explain Eli's sudden change from evil to good again.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts