Metal Guitarist Forums banner

How do you cold start your tube amp?

• Yes. 30 seconds on standby before turning it on or off.

Votes: 35 63.6%
  • Yes, but less than 30 seconds, because I'm impatient.

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Hell no, I flip the mains like a boss.

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • noodles

Votes: 11 20.0%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Usually when I get somewhere I plug in my amp first and power it on and then continue setting up my gear (5-10 minutes depending on how much BS'ing I'm doing) then I will plug in my guitar and click it out of stand-by.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Due to your weird wording of the question, I wasn't sure what to choose :lol:

I power up and wait a few minutes before turning the volts on :metal:

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
In theory the valves should be as hot as they're gonna get in 1 minute, so never less than that.

Usually about 5 though.

If I'm recording or reamping, 20 just to be certain its not gonna change.

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
Usually when I get somewhere I plug in my amp first and power it on and then continue setting up my gear (5-10 minutes depending on how much BS'ing I'm doing) then I will plug in my guitar and click it out of stand-by.
+1. Thats how i roll. Takes me about 1 minute to set up the rest, than i tune my guitar, then i hit standby and start rocking.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

45 seconds before and a minute after.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
I always wait a minute on standby before turning it on... But I never put it on standby before turning it off.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
:winning:

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
so why no cool down?

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Usually, I would turn the amp on stand by as soon as i got to practice and started unloading my guitar, and then turn it on after i got my guitar unpacked and plugged into the front of the amp.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Standby puts power to the tube heaters.

Tubes don't cool down when the tube heaters have power going to them.
This. "Time after" is wholly irrelevant. It's just like a light bulb - turn it off. The temperature of the tube in operation is not much, if at all, higher than the temperature while the heater filaments are running but the amp is in "standby" mode.

You should allow the tube to saturate with heat before you turn on the high voltage, however - 30-60 seconds is all that is required. Applying high voltage to the filament while cold applies a torque to a more brittle metal coil, sort of like flicking a light bulb on and off really fast. You'll kill it much faster than if you just leave it running.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
I usually wait about 15-30 seconds, but I've been known to wait as long as a minute and as short as 0.134921 seconds.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Amp is off, and in standby.
Turn the amp on.
Wait 30 sec
Flip off standby.
:dio:
On stage, keep amp on but in standby until your set starts, then flip off standby.
When done playing, throw amp back into standby, unplug guitar, unplug guitar cord from amp, turn amp off.

Easy :yesway:

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Amp is off, and in standby.
Turn the amp on.
Wait 30 sec
Flip off standby.
:dio:
On stage, keep amp on but in standby.
When done playing, throw amp back into standby, unplug guitar, unplug guitar cord from amp, turn amp off.

Axe Fx is off.

Axe Fx is on.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts