Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,
For those who haven't seen my thread on the Falchion build, I've been painting a guitar project with nitrocellulose paint and never really thought about it much, until I actually read about it today (yes, stupid to think about it afterwards) and realised nitro wears way easier...

Would it be a bad idea to lacquer it with Poly after this? If so, any tips on how I should go about clear coating this in a way to avoid aging/easy damage?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I'm not a luthier but I had one guitar finished with Nitro clear and it didn't gold up at all. (My orange JEM, Penny). I ended up just giving it to Ryan for a future refin project.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Combining different paint mixtures is bad news. I did enamel under lacquer one time and the whole surface turned to a jelly that never hardened even months later. Match chemical makeup and brand as often as possible. The only stuff that's fairly safe to spray over a different finish is two-part catalyzed finish because the hardener is in the additive, and even that is hit or miss. Anything that comes spray ready and dries via gassing off means it's mixed with thinner that can do God knows what with the finish underneath.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts