Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did some troubleshooting over text with chris about this stupid comcast popup I was getting on startup asking me to connect to xfinitywifi. Long story short - it HAD been connecting me to xfinitywifi, and it seems the wifi was taking precedence over my ethernet connection because I deleted the network and disabled wifi a second ago, and my net speed seems, like, a bajillion times faster.

Comcast can eat a bag of dicks. :yesway:

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
Yeah, I've read that in a lot of cases Comcast will run open wifi on subscribers' connections so they can offer public hotspots to their customers. I'd rip that shit out if I could.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was evidently what mine was trying to do. :yesway:

Interesting idea - determine "excess" bandwidth, take that, broadcast it out publicly from my router as a wifi hotspot, and combined with all the other area routers (which considering we can choose between Comcast or RCN, is probably half the houses on my street), and if you're logged into xfinitywifi then suddenly you have wifi access all over much of boston.

If they reduced my internet bill by say 30% and gave me free access to that wifi network on my cell phone, I'd probably let them do it. :yesway:

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Thank fuck privacy laws in Australia prevent telcos from doing that. If we pay for a service, companies can't lease or use the infrastructure on a private premises for any commercial activity without clear written agreement with the service holder.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
Wirelessly posted

:facepalm:
:lol:

I'm so glad I'm done with Comcast! I swear they must be breaking some laws....bastards!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.