Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The same way cell phones are handled:

https://customer.comcast.com/help-a...-what-are-the-different-plans-launching?ref=1

In this trial, XFINITY Internet Economy Plus customers can choose to enroll in the Flexible-Data Option to receive a $5.00 credit on their monthly bill and reduce their data usage plan from 300 GB to 5 GB. If customers choose this option and use more than 5 GB of data in any given month, they will not receive the $5.00 credit and will be charged an additional $1.00 for each gigabyte of data used over the 5 GB included in the Flexible-Data Option.
What the fuck?

dude on Reddit said:
Ok, so let's think about this for a moment. If you want more bandwidth after your initial allotment, it's $10 per 50gb. But if you want to receive less bandwidth and pay less money, Comcast subtracts $5 for 295 gb.

Is this some sort of joke?

Their whole justification for this (At least what they tell the public), is that people who use a lot of bandwidth should pay more, and people who use less should pay less. So the best they can do for people who use only 5gb per month, is $5 less, and for people who use more, it's $10 per 50gb? My fucking god. Just when I thought Comcast couldn't be any more of a scumbag, they go and outdo themselves with flying colors.

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
I switched to Verizon 3 months back.
They just send me a Visa card with $300 on it for making my first 3 payments on time.

Fuck Comcast

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't get FIOS where I live, so Verizon DSL it'll be. Slow is better than Comcast.

I'm moving in the summer anyway, and "a place with FIOS" is right near the top of the list on requirements for the new place. :lol:

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
Dude, thats why I switched a couple months back. I got lucky and found this company called TDS, They have fiber optic internet.

Fucking Comcast had installed a 250GB per month data cap and was charging 20 bucks for every ten you went over. FUCK Comcast they are the WORST. Fucking thieves is what they are.:noplease:

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
I don't understand how ISPs and cell providers keep advertising faster speeds, and then limiting the amount of bandwidth, thereby making the time in which you "use up" your bandwidth even quicker.

So with this 5GB a month plan, I guess they assume you'll watch a handful of movies on Netflix and read some text-based emails, and that's all every month?

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Wondernuts)

Hahaha, you guys are complaining about data caps? Here in Australia that's ALL you can get. There are about 3 unlimited data plans and they are all incredibly expensive. Most internet packages come with sub 250gb data; of note is that the data doesn't just include download but also upload meaning that when you put a video up on YouTube, or send a client a file or whatever it takes away from the data allowance.

And we don't even have monopolys here, you can get almost any internet provider in any area. They're just all in cahoots.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
This is why having the local monopoly system for ISPs is awful. There's no competition in the market except for that created by the big guys squeezing out the smaller ones.

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
the US state of internet in the US is shambles. It's completely segregated by ISP for every geographic region. Like previously stated, there is little no no competition. Where I live you can get ATT Uverse which is Fiber to a certain point then just runs over the phone lines to the home, so basically DSL, and the speeds aren't great, not terrible. Or you can get Charter Cable, which now they offer up to 200mb/sec . I get 30mb for $50/month which i'm fine with.

What's worse is cellular ISP's and their ridiculous price gouging. ATT or Sprint, one has retarded data caps, the other has no service.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I'm wondering if there will be a day where legacy unlimited home internet plans are just as valuable as the legacy unlimited mobile data plans.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
I hate Comcast with a PASSION. The only reason I have Comcast right now is because they are the ONLY fucking ISP available in my area. When I had to cancel with AT&T at my previous apartment, they asked me why I was cancelling and I told them "I'd love to use you guys if I can, but as far as I can tell, Comcast is the only ISP in the entire area I'm moving too." The lady found it hard to believe and checked it out and was like "Oh, sorry about that, you're right. Comcast really is the only ISP at your new address."

My Comcast plan is actually at a higher speed than my AT&T plan that I used to have, but in fucking reality, it is WAY slower. When I first moved into this apartment, Netflix was all pixelated and would sometimes just freeze up. After Netflix decided to pay a bunch of money to Comcast, it got a lot better, but never got as good as it was at AT&T (with a fucking slower plan).

Over the past few months, there have been times where my internet would just kick off. I called Comcast about it and the lady's first suggestion was "Would you like to upgrade to a faster plan?" My response was "Why would I want to upgrade to a faster plan when you aren't even giving me the speeds that I'm paying for? You guys kick me off the internet far too frequently and you throttle my speed when I'm trying to use services your company doesn't like."

I was just talking to my wife about how, although I love our apartment and our area, I want to move just so I can use an ISP other than fucking Comcast.

And the really ironic thing here is how I'm "praising" AT&T, one of the worst companies in the US, simply for being 1000x better than Comcast. :eek:

I should move to Mountain View and use Google Fiber. Seriously.

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
I can't get FIOS where I live, so Verizon DSL it'll be. Slow is better than Comcast.

I'm moving in the summer anyway, and "a place with FIOS" is right near the top of the list on requirements for the new place. :lol:
No doubt.
Where have you been looking?

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
Well my cable, internet and phone are out.
Apparently something is wrong with the eq in the basement.

Honestly verizon has been kind of unreliable so far.
I had problems with the router a month ago. Now this.
In comcasts defense, I never lost service for more than an hour or two in 8 years

·
Bringer of, Satan Ants
3,384 Posts

And we don't even have monopolys here, you can get almost any internet provider in any area. They're just all in cahoots.
Are you high dude?
Telstra wholesale was (and still is for ADSL).. now it is NBN co.
The iinet group was rolling out dslams.. along with optus, but stopped because telstra were not willing to give up space at the exchanges they built.
If you are on ADSL.. it will most likely be a telstra wholesale connection.

Australia is the world leader in creating a monopoly. :rofl:

·
Registered
3,806 Posts

I'm on cable. The infrastructure is owned by one company, but I would be free to choose between any DSL or cable provider in any area they service, whether it's iinet, Dodo, TPG, Optus, Telstra etc etc. Too bad the Abbott goon squad tore up the NBN, would have ended up breaking at least part of that infrastructure monopoly.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
The only word that comes to mind regarding Comcast is "Greed".

I had them at my last house - like many others - no other choice but DSL.

They worked O.K. but when they didn't work it would take days to get a repairman out. I'm home office so this was a huge pain.

I also rarely was able to measure the speed that I was paying for. Paying for 50 mostly getting 10-15.

Moved to a new house with a differently company. Pay for 50 and mostly get 50, and thirty dollars a month cheaper than Comcast - go figure.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.