Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 205 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At every level gear is head and shoulders above where it was years ago. Entry level gear like Line 6 and Roland (micro-cube) seriously kills the pignose and Crate amps we had to deal with as kids. There are new innovations in tube amps every year, with great tube amps starting at about $600 now, and just about every flavor of amp sound you can want is available.

Like Marshalls? Buy one of about 10 models. Like Marshall's El34 sound but want it hotter? Engl and Mesa have you covered. Like a more bassy sound? Mesa and Fryette and Peavey and 100 other companies have you covered. Smooth and crunchy? Egnater and Orange are here for you!

Like it all and want to go direct? Fractal, Digitech, and Rocktron have you covered. Like effects? On the floor or in a rack? TC Electronic has you covered.

I just can't believe all the wonderful toys we have at our disposal today. At any price range from $100 to $5k you can have gear that slays what we played years ago. Which begs the question...

...so why isn't the music today up to par with where it was 10-20 years ago?

People used to be excited for new rock records, R&B, hip-hop, soul, metal, jazz, etc. When I was a kid, I was as into Run DMC and Michael Jackson as I was Bon Jovi, Megadeth and Metallica (we're talking 1989 people, I was 11 :D ). Now, all I hear or see is watered down Nickelback-esque rock and Lady Gaga pop. Usher with laser beams behind his head on VH1. No new good jazz. No new good rock. No new good music. Where is the new Phil Collins? The new Sting? The new U2? The new Rush? The new Anthrax? The new Slayer? The new Queen? The new Deep Purple? The new SRV? Everything is watered down and has become lowest common denominator oriented to the point there's no talent in music anymore, and no good songs.

For metal? It's either death metal gutteral vocals or hardcore throaty vocals, and both suck ass. Give me a singer actually singing in a metal band any day over this nonsense we're dealing with today. And if you do have a singer, let's keep his vocals out of the stratosphere, stop singing about dragons, and put the fluffy blouses away.

My $.02.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:lol: I am definitely a grumpy old man :noodles:

I just realized tonight why I'm so much more into video games than music right now. I'd rather play video games pr read a book all weekend and listen to one or two CDs, and ten years ago I was the exact opposite almost never playing games and just listening to music all the time. In fact, I didn't have a gaming console until about 2004 or so since I was a kid, and I think it's because I haven't really been into too much music since 2004 or so.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm just frustrated I guess at a lack of inspirational music right now. Then when I do hear a band I really like, their singer kills it for me.

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
Man, I'm glad I embraced death metal vocals back in like 1990. Also I'm glad I love power metal, which not all of it is about dragons and only a few bands dress like 17th century politicians. I would hate to be a grumpy old man who can't find music to like.

Here's some power metal that doesn't suck for you:

Or maybe some more progressive:

There are literally thousands of great metal bands out there, but they aren't going to just drop into your lap. You have to look for them. I felt kinda the way you do right now in the mid to late 90's, and if I'd only opened my eyes I could've been into lots of killer music instead of reminiscing about "the good old days".

·
Registered
219 Posts
For metal? It's either death metal gutteral vocals or hardcore throaty vocals, and both suck ass. Give me a singer actually singing in a metal band any day over this nonsense we're dealing with today. And if you do have a singer, let's keep his vocals out of the stratosphere, stop singing about dragons, and put the fluffy blouses away.
:lol: I am curious to known when metal became synonymous with medieval fantasy or norse mythology...

And fuck am I'm really glad someone else can't stand the endless slew of screaming and growling idiots. So many times I will hear a track from a band for the first time and opening riff will kick ass then the "singing" starts and its all over. It's just plain depressing that conventional--for lack of a better descriptor--vocals are venturing into the endangered species category. It would be nice to have a few bands out there with some sick riffs that don't have a vocalist who sounds like he just had his vocal cords clipped because the neighbors called animal control.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Toshiro: You posted a band called Dragonland and a song called Shadow of the Beast. No that's not exactly what I'm bitching about :lol:

SBelmont: awesome name :agreed: your shared point is one of the reasons I quit my last band. I started the band as a metal band, and due to my drummer and singer's tastes, it became much more of a metalcore band. My metal riffs and solos with just throaty screams over top of it. I had to argue to get vocal melody into songs.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Pyramaze song is OK. The singer has too much reverb on his voice. The Dragonland song, I just can't get into the vocals, but it's a step in the right direction. Sounds like powermetal by the numbers IMO, and I've heard umpteen power metal bands do the same thing before.

I don't want bands to sound like they did in 1995. I want modern bands to sing and play songs better than they did years ago and really progress into new and innovative territory, not just regurgitate ideas.

For example, I think Nevermore is constantly putting out great new innovative metal, but their vocalist once again kinda kills it for me. Soilwork is awesome, but their new albums pale in comparison to what they did 5-10 years ago and it sounds like they're making albums strictly for a paycheck now instead of coming up with amazing new music.

BTW Tosh, take an easier tone. You've had two pretty condescending remarks so far in this thread, and it should be a friendlier discussion my man :)

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
I just don't get all this hatred towards power metal, when you want clean vocals, or worrying about band names or lyrics. Vocals are vocals to me, I guess. :lol:

Also, that Pyramaze song has Matt Barlow of Iced Earth on it, one of the best metal singers ever regardless of genre, IMO.

I guess I just don't get where you're coming from. I like hundreds of bands right now, most of them clean vocals. I just don't care if they have songs about LOTR or some other topic, and I like singers with range.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4B1 Safari/419.3)

Did you listen to the stuff I linked?

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
Okay, I'll admit I took the wrong path with this thread. You can hardly blame me though, you say there's no good singing in metal, and dismiss power metal entirely all at the same time. :lol:

Let's try a different approach:

What metal vocalists do you like Vince? Just so I have a baseline to understand where you're coming from with this. Maybe I can find a band you'd like.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
As for the gear, that shouldn't surprise anybody. That's the way technology has been working since the 1700s. It just works exponentially, getting much much better in leaps and bounds. The 60s was way beyond the 50s. The 70s was way beyond the 60s. The 80s way beyond the 70s. The 90s way beyond the 80s. The 00s way beyond the 90s. And 2010 is considerably beyond 2000.

As for your views on music, however, that's your own personal opinion and it sounds like a grumpy old Alzheimers geezer, dude. "Back in the good ol' days, men were men and the music was ACTUALLY good!" People have been saying that since the beginning of the 1900s. It just shows that you are O L D.

Man, I'm glad I embraced death metal vocals back in like 1990. Also I'm glad I love power metal, which not all of it is about dragons and only a few bands dress like 17th century politicians. I would hate to be a grumpy old man who can't find music to like.

There are literally thousands of great metal bands out there, but they aren't going to just drop into your lap. You have to look for them. I felt kinda the way you do right now in the mid to late 90's, and if I'd only opened my eyes I could've been into lots of killer music instead of reminiscing about "the good old days".
:agreed: +10000000000000000

Could not have said it better.

I love clean vocals. I use clean vocals in my band too, but my favorite styles of music have ALWAYS been really agressive. Thrash, death metal, hardcore punk, post-hardcore, grindcore, black metal, the heavier side of hard rock, etc. So the majority of the vocals in my songs are extremely aggressive. If you don't like that, it's fine. 99.99% of the people out there in the world hate that kind of music. I love it, but I'm in the minority, I guess.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
While I am a staunch defender of power metal, I'm with Vince.

So may artists from the past are revered, and even new guitarist today cite them as influences - Hendrix, SRV, Clapton, Page, Beck, Gilmour, the list goes on. What artist today will leave that kind of lasting mark on music?

What band in the last 10 years is going to be looked at like the Rolling Stones, Sabbath or Led Zeppelin?

·
Registered
39 Posts
The gear is the more interesting part of this discussion to me..

When even Petrucci & Vai are using a little 2u box as a part replacement for a 12u+ refrigerator full of stuff, its a sign tube driven amps are soon going to be a thing of the past. It is just a matter of time before digital simulates everything 100% identical to reality.

The MESAs/ENGLs etc must be pooping their pants, as the next generation of musicians will only want digital products as they provide all the advantages of direct recording, the DAWs etc etc.

I'm surprised they haven't actually sued Fractal for replicating their products and selling them.

As for the lasting mark on music by today's artists, it wont happen. Back then there were few distribution channels, and it was very difficult & expensive to produce music. Nowadays with the internet, axe-fx's, DAWs. Anyone with some talent and time can produce music essentially for free, and distribute it globally with no problems.
This being the case with every starter musician out there, I think the trend will show each listener listening to more artists than ever before, its inevitable that the peaks of the hendrix's etc will drop. Its just a big dispersed soup now.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
The gear is the more interesting part of this discussion to me..

When even Petrucci & Vai are using a little 2u box as a part replacement for a 12u+ refrigerator full of stuff, its a sign tube driven amps are soon going to be a thing of the past. It is just a matter of time before digital simulates everything 100% identical to reality.

The MESAs/ENGLs etc must be pooping their pants, as the next generation of musicians will only want digital products as they provide all the advantages of direct recording, the DAWs etc etc.

I'm surprised they haven't actually sued Fractal for replicating their products and selling them.
We actually have a decent discussion going on this topic:

http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum...now-tube-snobs-can-tell-me-i-told-you-so.html

I own both a MESA tube amp, and the same 2U box that Petrucci and the rest are going to. ;)

Fractal's not necessarily replicating a product, they're replicating waveforms (amongst other things). You can't really trademark sound at that level.

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
What band in the last 10 years is going to be looked at like the Rolling Stones, Sabbath or Led Zeppelin?
I think about this exact idea all the time.

I think you guys are (partially, at least, and probably mostly, although I'm O L D, too :lol:) right about this, but I'll throw a hat in the ring.

Corey Taylor.

I'm not even a huge fan. I like Slipknot OK, and I like Stone Sour OK, but he's talented, sells records, versatile, credible, and puts out enough material to have a shot at it. The new SS album is really all over the place. Unusual for a "heavy" band these days. Which is very cool, to me. Like a old school rock record, but with a modern metal sensibility.

1 - 20 of 205 Posts