Metal Guitarist Forums banner

261 - 280 of 283 Posts

·
Administrator
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
All questions regarding GDPR or account removal should be sent to Contact Us > Report a Privacy Concern

Admin
There's plenty of posts in the buy/sell-section containing personal information like location and email address, so a half-assed "anonymizing" won't cut it for GDPR compliance for the many opt-outs since new site management took over...

For EU citizens there's always this site to file a formal complaint against the site, will do so if nothing happens:

Please see the above post as our policy department will handle those requests.

Users also have the ability to edit posts if they want to remove any personal info.

Jeff

·
Administrator
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
Yeah, not to mention it's been almost 24 hours since I sent my request to have my posts deleted and there's been no response/action.
All questions regarding GDPR or account removal should be sent to Contact Us > Report a Privacy Concern

Admin
If you sent it to the above Contact Us link it will be processed shortly.

Please also review our Terms of Use below:

Admin

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Please see the above post as our policy department will handle those requests.

Users also have the ability to edit posts if they want to remove any personal info.

Jeff
You can only edit 10 posts per 7 day period. Can that limit be removed?

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I like how he pops up once a day to drop a couple links on us and refuses to answer any questions.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
They won't let current users have their data deleted. I went back and tried to edit my posts and made it to post 11 when I got the message you can only edit 10 posts in a 7 day period, so It will take me 64 weeks to delete my posts. I'm sure they have a function so they can do to quickly, but it's been over 24 hours and I haven't received a response to my simple inquiry if it's even possible.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
For my Canuck friends, there's some privacy laws regarding the use of personal information and content, and I find these lines particularly interesting:

• Put guidelines and procedures in place for retaining and destroying personal information.
  • Know what personal information you have, where it is, and what you are doing with it.
  • Obtain fresh consent if you intend to use or disclose personal information for a new purpose.
I would say that flooding the page with ads constitutes a new purpose to squeeze more revenue from us. They also need to know what personal information they're keeping, and unless MG-Admin wants to comb through my almost 4600 remaining posts to ensure I don't have my name posted anywhere, or any other personal information such as my location (city, country, etc) or what personal property I own, I would say they need to delete my posts to ensure compliance with Canadian laws, the country in which they are residing.

For anyone interested: PIPEDA Fair Information Principle 5 – Limiting Use, Disclosure, and Retention - Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada

Thinking if I don't have my content deleted by the end of the week I'll be lodging a complaint with the privacy commissioner. I'm sure there's also some kind of provincial privacy authority for Ontario where they reside.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I asked for my PM Inbox to be wiped, since it has addresses, paypal links, etc. It's all still there.

I'm sure Unhelpful Jeff is unhappy about losing an investment and just doesn't care enough anymore to perform simple requests to protect private information.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Yeah, and the "helpful" people at the contact us link just keep referring you to the terms of service, they won't even give you a simple yes or no to simple questions.

·
Administrator
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #269
I asked for my PM Inbox to be wiped, since it has addresses, paypal links, etc. It's all still there.

I'm sure Unhelpful Jeff is unhappy about losing an investment and just doesn't care enough anymore to perform simple requests to protect private information.
You can remove your private messages.

How To Delete A Conversation (Private Message)

There is no limit to the number of conversations. You can keep them indefinitely. If you choose to have one no longer display to you within your conversations, you can simply click near the upper right of the message to leave the conversation

Once you leave a conversation, it cannot be restored unless you are invited back to it.

For leaving conversations in bulk (full page) you can do the following.

Open your conversation box. Add a checkmark next to the conversation title.

That will open a drop menu near the bottom. Add a checkmark to "Select All".

Although you can add checkmarks next to each conversation, once you select any, a drop menu near the bottom will appear. If you want to leave conversation in bulk (such as a full page) Add a checkmark to "Select All".

Click the drop-down menu next to “Choose action” select “Leave conversations”. Click GO.

- Cricket

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Thanks, I figured that out pretty quickly :lol:

I had 43 pages of these things, like 35/page. It's going to take me some time.

But, are they actually being deleted? If there's a scripty way of removing addresses (both snail and email), that's all I'm trying to clear out.

·
Administrator
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #271
Thanks, I figured that out pretty quickly :lol:

I had 43 pages of these things, like 35/page. It's going to take me some time.

But, are they actually being deleted? If there's a scripty way of removing addresses (both snail and email), that's all I'm trying to clear out.
It removes them from your account but whoever you had the conversations with would have to remove them too. (You can remove from your own account but not from other members' accounts.)

I don't believe we have a script for this. (I don't have access to your private conversations) but I can ask.

- Cricket

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
It should really be something I should be doing myself, as I go, auditing the personal info like once a month. I suppose this switchover has shown me that just letting 1505 PM's sit around :lol:

But, if there is a script available, really, in the drive to keep things more secure, it might not be a bad implementation.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Also, I can only edit 10 posts every 7 days? I'm trying to go back to remove pictures of people. I don't care about editting posts, I just want to clear some personal pictures.

·
Administrator
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
Also, I can only edit 10 posts every 7 days? I'm trying to go back to remove pictures of people. I don't care about editting posts, I just want to clear some personal pictures.
If they're photos of people then please shoot an email to [email protected] indicating where they are and we can help you get the photos down easily. It's more of a grey area if they're photos of a guitar or bass but anything with a human face, your address, a license plate, those can be removed with minimal trouble so long as you help us pin down where they are.

Kyle

·
M3 Aficionado
1,278 Posts
The instructions below do not work.
  1. "Select All" only applies to the items shown on the page. You have to repeat the steps for each page.
  2. You can't repeat the steps for each page, because all the actions EXCEPT "Deselect All..." vanish when trying to leave all the conversations on the new first page.
  3. It doesn't seem like the conversation is actually deleted. When you leave the conversations, you get the option to be notified if there are any new responses (See below). How can you be notified of new responses if the conversation has been deleted?
    • Accept future messages
      • Should this conversation receive further responses in the future, this conversation will be restored to your inbox.
    • Ignore future messages
      • You will not be notified of any future responses and the conversation will remain deleted.

You can remove your private messages.

How To Delete A Conversation (Private Message)

There is no limit to the number of conversations. You can keep them indefinitely. If you choose to have one no longer display to you within your conversations, you can simply click near the upper right of the message to leave the conversation

Once you leave a conversation, it cannot be restored unless you are invited back to it.

For leaving conversations in bulk (full page) you can do the following.

Open your conversation box. Add a checkmark next to the conversation title.

That will open a drop menu near the bottom. Add a checkmark to "Select All".

Although you can add checkmarks next to each conversation, once you select any, a drop menu near the bottom will appear. If you want to leave conversation in bulk (such as a full page) Add a checkmark to "Select All".

Click the drop-down menu next to “Choose action” select “Leave conversations”. Click GO.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #276
You will have to repeat the directions for multiple pages.

It removes them from your conversations unless you tell it otherwise.

This does not remove the conversations from the members you were having a discussion with.

- Cricket

·
M3 Aficionado
1,278 Posts
Account Preferences are also broken. I was trying to update my gear list and changes were not being saved.

·
M3 Aficionado
1,278 Posts
You will have to repeat the directions for multiple pages.
As I said, that doesn't work. After the first page of Conversations is deleted, the only option that is enabled after deleting leaving conversations is "Deselect All...". I'll trying logging out and back in. It might only work once per session.
This does not remove the conversations from the members you were having a discussion with.
In other words, this process does not delete the conversation. At best, we're dependent on the every other user in the conversation leaving also. At worst, the data is still there, but not linked to any account.

·
Administrator
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #279
As I said, that doesn't work. After the first page of Conversations is deleted, the only option that is enabled after deleting leaving conversations is "Deselect All...". I'll trying logging out and back in. It might only work once per session.

In other words, this process does not delete the conversation. At best, we're dependent on the every other user in the conversation leaving also. At worst, the data is still there, but not linked to any account.
You can choose for your own account to no longer save the conversation. You cannot choose for another member.

- Cricket

·
M3 Aficionado
1,278 Posts
As I said, that doesn't work. After the first page of Conversations is deleted, the only option that is enabled after deleting leaving conversations is "Deselect All...". I'll trying logging out and back in. It might only work once per session. ...
I found the voodoo. After the first "Select all ... Delete", you have to "Select All (checkbox at bottom) ... Deselect All (menu) ... Go (button)", then repeat the "Select one (checkbox next to item) ... Select All (checkbox at bottom) ... Leave Conversation (menu) ... Go (button at bottom)" for each page.

261 - 280 of 283 Posts