Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
abides
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Since getting my second B2 I have been asked several times how the sound differs between the two. Here's a very quick clean and dirty clip of each that I did this morning:

Quilted B2 (the older of the two):

Clean

Mid-gain

Dirty

Full mix

Burl B2:

Clean

Mid-gain

Dirty

Full mix

Some people were surprised at my choice to put BKP Mules (PAF clones) in the new Burl-topped B2, hopefully the dirty clip will prove that they lack nothing when it comes to high-gain.
The older B2 has a Rebel Yell bridge, VHII neck.

The dirty clip is the intro riff to Nevermore's The Psalm of Lydia

It's worth noting both guitars have brand new sets of the same brand/gauge strings and were played in quick succession with identical EQ. I also used the same pick.

·
abides
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Older B2-
40yr old chambered Mahogany body
100+yr old quilted maple top
Honduras rosewood neck
Ebony fretboard & neck fillets
Gotoh hardware, Graphtech saddles

Newer B2-
chambered black limba body
burl maple top
Honduras rosewood neck (thicker carve than older B2)
Ziricote fretboard & neck fillets
Schaller hardware

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Thanks, dude. :yesway:

Great clips, I'll check them out tonight again on the proper stereo. I really dig the sound of the Mules. Did you have to turn the gain up a little bit for them to match the Rebel Yell, though?

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I reaaallly find myself liking the balance of Alnico IV magnets, the Rebel Yell being my only personal experience. Plenty of openness and clarity, coupled with a round but firm bass and sort of thick highs. I'm just surprised that the Mules hold up that well to high gain - they're pretty firm without being ultra-compressed.

·
abides
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I reaaallly find myself liking the balance of Alnico IV magnets, the Rebel Yell being my only personal experience. Plenty of openness and clarity, coupled with a round but firm bass and sort of thick highs.
The Rebel Yells are Alnico V. The only AIV humbuckers in the BKP range are the Mules and Abraxas ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
i was at work with shitty headphones when i wrote that. On my studio monitors there is more of a difference but they still sounds quite similar. to me of course. they do however, both sound good.

·
abides
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i was at work with shitty headphones when i wrote that. On my studio monitors there is more of a difference but they still sounds quite similar. to me of course. they do however, both sound good.
Gotcha, yes the differences are subtle, but they do become more evident as the gain drops off so I think I'm going to do a mid-gain comparison too :)

Wow, Nolly your stuff always sounds so good. Those things are HUGE!
Cheers dude!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts